No announcement yet.

88LX radiator fan always on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm doing a precautionary cooling fan relay replacement.

Nothing available locally. Bought one from Ford dealer in Kansas; see this thread I freshened up:

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

WmWatt,

The wire colors I found in my 88LX match both:

Your info above:
      pg 12-21 "Typical 1988 and 1999 engine control system (carbureted)"
      cooling fan relay has yellow and red wire
      coolant temperature switch has light green wire and black ground wire
      coolant temperature sensor has brown and red wire and black ground wire

AND

'89 wiring diagrams I found that I had 11x17-printed off this site some years ago.
      88L black, dailydriver
      4 88/89 disassembled
      91L green
      91GL aqua pwrsteer
      92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

So, while waiting for the new coolant temp switch to arrive from Kansas, I pulled one from another of my cars; fan still not coming on.

So, I start thinking … "What could this possibliy be?" I can still activate the fan by pulling the wire off the switch.

So, I replaced the BRAND NEW SWITCH with on from another of my cars and, voila, PROBLEM APPEARS TO BE FIXED! I let it run for 3 on/off cycles.

It's looking like O'Reilly sold me a switch that worked for JUST ONE FAN ON/OFF CYCLE and then died. I don't know what exactly is inside one of these "import Direct" brand ("Made in China") coolant temp switches, but I'm not impressed. O'Reilly has offered to replace it -- perhaps I should be demanding a better (U.S. made!) brand, even if it costs more?
        88L black, dailydriver
        4 88/89 disassembled
        91L green
        91GL aqua pwrsteer
        92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
          So, while waiting for the new coolant temp switch to arrive from Kansas, I pulled one from another of my cars; fan still not coming on.

So, I start thinking … "What could this possibliy be?" I can still activate the fan by pulling the wire off the switch.

So, I replaced the BRAND NEW SWITCH with on from another of my cars and, voila, PROBLEM APPEARS TO BE FIXED! I let it run for 3 on/off cycles.

It's looking like O'Reilly sold me a switch that worked for JUST ONE FAN ON/OFF CYCLE and then died. I don't know what exactly is inside one of these "import Direct" brand ("Made in China") coolant temp switches, but I'm not impressed. O'Reilly has offered to replace it -- perhaps I should be demanding a better (U.S. made!) brand, even if it costs more?
          Well thats terrible. At least get a replacement from them and keep it as a spare and hope its better. I remember when mine failed years back the only switch i found was $70 so i wired it to a switch and juat activated the fan manually ever since. Then i started collecting them off festivas in the wrecker but never installed one on my car and i have no idea where that collection went...
          Glad you got it fixed though!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I got a warranty replacement from O'Reilly on the week-old coolant temp switch. The replacement worked (3-cycle test).

So not everything from China is junk, I guess. I'd still rather something from a reputable American manufacturer (do we have any of those left?) or German.
            88L black, dailydriver
            4 88/89 disassembled
            91L green
            91GL aqua pwrsteer
            92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Working...
            X