No announcement yet.

Battery trays -- two different styles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery trays -- two different styles!

While trying to secure the batteries in my Seattle daily drivers, I noticed that Festies have two different styles of battery trays. See attached photo (one in a car, one just sitting next to it for the photo). Note that the passenger-side mounting ear is different.

This means that the factory battery hold-down contraption requires with two "long" or one "long" and one "short" hook devices.

I also notice serious cracks in many of my battery trays, perhaps from not securing the batteries, allowing them to bounce around, impacting the trays more than they otherwise would.

So … questions:

1. Has anybody come up with a source for battery trays? Is 3D printing (which I'm not into) a solution here? I'm not sure what they're made from -- is it fiberglass?
    2. Is there a source for the 3 parts (top gizmo + 2 "hooks") to secure batteries? Somebody with access to metalworking equipment could surely fabricate them, perhaps even from stainless so they won't rust and look ugly.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 08-03-2018, 11:17 PM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

The battery was moved from right to left when they started putting in the fuel injected engines.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

"Right to left?" I don't understand. All Festies have the battery on the left side.

I was referring to two different styles of battery mounting trays, the result of which is that different parts are required to secure the battery to the tray.
      88L black, dailydriver
      88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
      4 88/89 disassembled
      91L green
      91GL aqua pwrsteer
      92GL red a/c reardmg
      3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
      1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Sorry, when working on the engine the battery is on the right or driver's side.
        Did I misremember if I ever wanted to convert to fuel injected the battery was one of the things that would have to be relocated in the engine bay? I thought that was on the list.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
        X