Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hesitation, Stumble, Partial throttle Bog, FIXED!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hesitation, Stumble, Partial throttle Bog, FIXED!!

Hesitation off idle?
    Check engine light coming on on the road, then going away when you stomp the gas pedal a few times?
    Sounding kind of ragged at higher RPMs?
    Pinging unless you run premium gas?
    Pressing the gas pedal sometimes makes it miss and lose power, then solve itself mysteriously for a few miles?

Ladies and gentlemen, Check your sending unit.

I've been banging my head against this one for a solid year. I'd fixed vacuum lines, checked sensors, replaced O2, spark plugs, distributor parts, etc, all with zero improvements. I left the fuel pump alone because the guy I bought it from swore up and down that he'd replaced the pump right before I bought it. As it turns out, he certainly had! However, the sending unit has a socket to receive power from the harness, and another on the inside to transfer that power to the pump itself. I found that the socket had been slowly corroding and getting worse and worse, and had burnt from the heat of trying to pass power. How it never arced and blew the tank, I will never know.

Being unable to find a new sending unit, I stripped the old one down and sandblasted the plug/socket connections gently, till they looked brand new again. A liberal coating of dielectric grease, reassembled, and now every single symptom has gone away. My guess is that the fuel pump had been struggling to build pressure with a twitchy power connection coming on and off, never passing enough power to work properly.

:fred:

With age I have realized that Dielectric grease is actually worth putting in your sockets and plugs. I never quite understood why you would need it until working on my fathers 97 Jeep Wrangler with a malfunctioning dash cluster.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
    X