Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Festiva LX Automatic having trouble engaging gear

Hello everyone, first post here!

I’m looking into buying a 1989 ford festiva with an automatic transmission. It has pretty low miles and no problems other than difficulty engaging into 3rd gear I believe. So what I’m wondering is if anyone knows how easily this problem could be fixed? If I were to buy this car are parts available to get this problem fixed? Also the seller said that it is a problem with the gear itself not the transmission as a whole.

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum, Joran!

I've read something on here about '89 automatic cars are to be avoided, but I can't recall why. Good luck!!!

Comment

The 89 auto has alot of one year only parts. There is not alot of knowledge out there on how to fix them. Just don't pay a lot of money for one. The automatic trans is the same as 90 to 93. Normally last forever with out giving any trouble. Maybe a fluid and filter change will help. The automatic cars don't like the interstate no overdrive. Autos get 35mpg verses 45mpg for manuals. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Joran View Post
        Hello everyone, first post here!

I’m looking into buying a 1989 ford festiva with an automatic transmission. It has pretty low miles and no problems other than difficulty engaging into 3rd gear I believe. So what I’m wondering is if anyone knows how easily this problem could be fixed? If I were to buy this car are parts available to get this problem fixed? Also the seller said that it is a problem with the gear itself not the transmission as a whole.

Thanks!!
        I had the same automatic transmission problem with Rosie not going into 3rd until beyond the speed that it should. I replaced the trans fluid, filter and modulator and it still did not fix the problem. Put in another used automatic transmission and it was worse the the original. I ended up switching it to a 5 speed and was very happy to have gotten rid of the ATX. If you can round up the parts at a reasonable price, it's really not that difficult to do.

On the other hand, my 89 "Trixie has 96k original miles on her and the ATX does great... but ditto on the interstate driving.. fine for around town but the engine has to really rev high to keep up the speed on the highway.

Welcome to the forum.
        Last edited by 1990new; 08-24-2018, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Only time I've had a problem like that is when the shifter cable was out of adjustment and the transmission was actually in the "2" position.

Are you sure it's not actually in 3rd gear and you aren't just expecting the rpm to be lower?
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
          X