!988 Ford Festiva Fan Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !988 Ford Festiva Fan Problem

Hey peeps: I'm having problems with the engine fan turning on while the car sits at idle;which causes the idle to go up which makes the car hard to smog...HELP any solutions for this..I would appreciate all suggestions..GOT TO GET THIS TOY TO PASS HERE IN CALI

Thanks
    Tomas

On my 88 and 89 LXs (carbies, of course), the RPM DROPS ever so slightly when the engine fan comes on at idle (which it will after a while not moving, of course).

I recall reading somewhere long ago that the ECU tries to increase the RPM a bit when the A/C compressor kicks in, to counteract the associated loading down of the engine.

Possible wiring issue?

Also, have you fiddled with the RPM adjustment -- white pointing knob on the top rear of the carb on the passenger side? I have mine adjusted to about 700rpm (when everything is warmed up).
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 09-10-2018, 06:32 PM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Mine is a LX carb..I will try the reducing of RPM down to 700 when it warms up its goes up to 1000 from 400 to 600 rpm..I don't think there's a wiring problem but I will try to have someone check..Thanks

Comment

Clean all your grounds. I believe you have a vacuum problem. My rpms also increased at idle on my 89 carb due to a hose problem. Don't ask me which one. I can't remember. I changed carbs to a Weber because I could not solve it.

Comment

What about disconnecting your cooling fan for the duration of the test?

Comment

When the fan comes on the idle increases on the carburetted model. "Hard to smog" would be another issue. What is the emission tester complaining about?
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I was just thinking about that..Thanks

Comment

High CO..I just got a recon MAP switch..I hope it solves the problem
                Last edited by MERTOMAS; 09-11-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                  Clean all your grounds. I believe you have a vacuum problem. My rpms also increased at idle on my 89 carb due to a hose problem. Don't ask me which one. I can't remember. I changed carbs to a Weber because I could not solve it.
                  thanks..How much is it to change out the carb for a WEBER?

Comment

Check with the state before modifying the engine. It can raise the bar for the car in some jurisdictions. Brave is in Ontario where his car has an exemption.

I'd also check with the state as to the cause. They might have a list of things which cause high CO. I'm in Ontasrio like Brave and we used to have pamphlets at the testing centres suggesting things to look for.
                    Last edited by WmWatt; 09-11-2018, 03:52 PM.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                      Check with the state before modifying the engine. It can raise the bar for the car in some jurisdictions. Brave is in Ontario where his car has an exemption.

I'd also check with the state as to the cause. They might have a list of things which cause high CO. I'm in Ontasrio like Brave and we used to have pamphlets at the testing centres suggesting things to look for.
                      Thanks for the info..Yeah Canada IS different than US/California..Cali is Very strict..Gotta get this CAR smogged soon..

Comment

Hi CO is high carbon monoxide. You are running too rich. It's been a long time since I had a carbed Festiva but I do believe there is an idle mixture screw on the primary carburetor circuit. Seeing that the original carb is a complicated feedback carb it may be possible that a vacuum leak is actually causing a lean condition and the O2 sensor is telling the computer to richen the mixture. I doubt that the California emission police would allow such a practical thing as a Weber carb. The other issue you may be having is the idle speed rpm's. You say the idle increases when the fan comes on (that doesn't sound right BTW) Most emission tests will stop dead in the tracks if your idle goes over 1200 rpm's. Also once the car is entered into the testing computer and the tests begin adjustments to the vehicle are not allowed. In other words if the idle speed goes over 1200 rpm's the test is officially over and get the car out of here. When I was flipping cars and running several a month through emissions I met a guy who would sometimes turn my heating fan on if he noticed the car was idling too high (illegal BTW) Turning on the heater blower would usually drop the rpm's about 50. Sometimes enough to keep you under 1200 and allow you to pass. If you ask enough people you will eventually find a tester that may work with you and help the car pass. Illegal I know but face up to the reality that it may cost you a weeks worth of wages to get it passed correctly. Good luck!
                        '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                        '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                        '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

I have heard of adding denatured alcohol(like a quart) to your gas to sneak through emissions
                          186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
                          1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
                          1992 aqua L (agua)
                          1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

^^ aka ethanol and gas line antifreeze

Turn your headlights on while the car is idling and listen to the rpm's increase.

Comment

Working...
                            X