Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

My 92 has a bad ignition switch (went bad this morning at the gas station) i need to get the car started so i can make it home. It runs great and a little back story i got it a week ago and the ignition lock cylinder was out of it but the switch still worked with a screw driver. This morning after i stopped at the gas station on my way to work i went to restart the car and it acted like it was going to and then i lost all power to the car. Im not sure what i need to check or what i need to replace but i know theres not much to these cars and i dont want to pay for a tow to get it home if i dont have to. Any suggestions will be helpful i dont care if i need to hotwire it or anything i just need to get it running and i already have a new ignition switch and lock cylinder assembly on its way but wont be here till saturday

Can't help you on that one. I have never taken one apart yet.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

It sounds like you may have shorted something out with your screwdriver and blew a fuse.

Comment

Agree. Look at the fuse panel under the dash on the driver's side. There are also three fuses on the driver's side fender in the engine compartment. Good luck. Don't know how to hot wire a vehicle myself. Misspent youth.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

It might not be the ignition switch. You lost all power as in no headlights, no dash lights and no clicking noises as you turn the key and it doesnt crank right?
          First check your battery cables, wiggle them good, maybe take them off and clean them and reinstall. They can get corroded and actually loose connection even though they are connected. Used to happen to me a lot.
          Then replace your fusable links, its most likely the middle one giving you issues. You can swap them around to get home. Then check all fuses inside the car.
          I would just about bet its your battery terminals though

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by ryanprins13; 10-02-2018, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Do you have 12V + at the white with red stripe wire at the ignition switch? I'll bet you don't, that provides power to the ignition switch no power there,findout why or provide a jumper wire to give you 12v. If you have to hot wire it jump the main relay with a paper clip or jumper wire,Run a piece of wire from battery + to ign coil + pull the female lead off the solenoid and short b+ at the solenoid to the small male lead and it will fire up and run. Make sure its not in gear it will start in gear this way
            30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

I got it figured out i replaced pretty much everything from ecu, main relay, engine sensors, the fusible links under the hood, battery, starter switch, pretty much everything i could snag from another one in the junkyard i think the ecu was fried somehow but after i changed all the sensors and the fusible links with the ecu hooked the battery back up and she fired right up.

Comment

Great! Glad you fixed it. Is this your first festiva?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X