Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drivers side door lock, key turns but wont unlock. feels loose like turning nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers side door lock, key turns but wont unlock. feels loose like turning nothing

so as the title states the drivers door lock has gone on my ford festiva 1995 model. It feels so loose like its turning nothing, so im hoping maybe something has just disconnected inside?

1. How do I remove the trim to have a look? i cant find any guides on doing so.
    2. is it possible something has come loose and it will be an easy fix?
    3. any other tips on fixing or replacing the lock?

Thanks a million in advance

Try a search of this forum. Thre have been photos posted. You have to remove the inside door handle arm rest, and window crank handle, then pop the plastic rivets around the edge that hold the door liner on, then pry the plastic liner away from the door metal. The lock mechanism is up in the corner and hard to reach. You'll need a flashlight. The lock is held on with a nut and rubber washer which sounds like it has come loose and mabye worn away. The various rods are connected with plastic clips. My key opens the door but won't lock it any more. The lock and tumblers are fine. The problem is with the rods and connections.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Is it locked but won't unlock?I have two that do that to me,if they are not 100% locked they will not unlock,so when mine will not unlock but seem locked I go in through the passenger dood push down and pull up on the luck thingy a couple of times and the problem disappears for a while.
      30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Hi Ive tried searching the forum over and over, i cannot find the right search terms to bring any results with images, could you point me in the right direction? My key will not open or close the lock. It feels slack like there is no pressure in the lock, and its turning freely back and forward with no engagement. the inner lock works fine still. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
          Is it locked but won't unlock?I have two that do that to me,if they are not 100% locked they will not unlock,so when mine will not unlock but seem locked I go in through the passenger dood push down and pull up on the luck thingy a couple of times and the problem disappears for a while.
          Hi Ricko, no its wont unlock or lock from the outside, My key will not open or close the lock. It feels slack like there is no pressure in the lock, and its turning freely back and forward with no engagement. the inner lock works fine still. The first thing i tried was to push and pull the button hoping it would engage something inside. Ill have to pull the trim off and have look, but Im a woman with little car knowledge, but im very determined and i enjoy fixing things. Hopefully i wont damage the trim trying to remove it.

Comment

Sounds like a rod popped off or a clip broke. Follow the instructions above for removal. If this is a first gen festiva all the screws are phillips, a trim tool makes it easy to pop the plastic clips off the door panel without breaking the cardboard. Ill post a photo, they are cheap. You have to pry right at the clip so the clip doesnt pull through the cardboard. I use wire to remove the window crank clip but they sell a tool for it. Ill post a photo of that as well. Look up on youtube how to get them off, that will be quickest. Basically every window crank comes off the same way.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

You can use an old sock/wash rag to remove window crank clip. Just slip behind crank and pull around to catch & pop out clip. Don't do this while parked in the grass because clip can fly out and be almost impossible to find. Another hard learned lesson.
              Last edited by rap; 10-10-2018, 07:15 PM.

Comment

I have always used a coat hanger with the end of it bent into a tight hook. It makes it easy to get under the little horse shoe clip. You want to get under it's center, of course how else would you? Get under the center and pull and out comes the clip and off comes the handle.
                '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

I don't use my door keys anymore since I installed power locks in my Festiva.
                  There is nothing so satisfying as hearing the beep followed by a double light flash.
                  I gave up key chain ornaments for a set of nice buttons to push.

Comment

Use something thin like a putty knife to p[op the plastic rivets around the edge of the door liner. It's covered in the Haynes manual with photos if you have it. That was my guide.
                    You can also search the Internet as well as this website.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Use something thin like a putty knife to p[op the plastic rivets around the edge of the door liner. It's covered in the Haynes manual with photos if you have it. That was my guide.

Here be photos - https://fordfestiva.com/forums/showt...ont+door+panel

You can also search the Internet as well as this website. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X