I got my tranny kit today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my tranny kit today

I wonder if I ought to START a build thread for it, or what?

It's kinda parta the white car thread - but a good video topic if i go down that road with it...

What do you guys think?

Seems to me it would be more helpful of me to do a "STAND ALONE" tranny build thread with videos, so it could be found easily

I'm thinking the title needs to be very specific
    "1990 Festiva (USA car) 1300 Manual 5-Speed T-Axle"

~ so you know what it is about

Dunno the tranny series yet, I was hoping we could sort that out ahead of time

The kit is an M5 (?) whatever I said it was in the "What gear oil is best" thread

The kit seems to be a generic 90 Festy through KIA Aspire one, I think they split off from what they used in 88 and 89
    ~I could be mistaken. Feel free to fire me...

As many times as you want!
    Last edited by Greywolf; 10-12-2018, 02:53 PM.
    Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Yes do a rebuild how to thread. Make lots of detailed vids.

Good used trans are impossible to find. Rebuilding is the only option. Others are going to want to know how.

Comment

Please do take videos and pictures and put them in a seperate thread. I have a broken trans and the FSM which details how to take the whole thing apart but i am still a bit scared to. Im sure others feel the same. Colour pictures and video would help i think.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

both 4 and 5 speed transmissions from 1988 to 1997 are near identical, and serviced the same as any other Mazda-sourced manual transaxle, to include the E, F, and G boxes. Disassembly and reassembly are fairly straightforward, as are breakdown and buildup of the input and main shafts. The real challenge with these boxes is setting the bearing preload for the diff, input, and main shafts. It requires special tools, which are difficult to locate and acquire at reasonable prices. Without properly setting bearing preload, the new bearings will not survive any real length of time. If you're simply replacing blocker rings, and/or other synchro parts, but no bearings, no changes to preload are required. With that said, I've found good quality bearings to be fairly consistent in stacking tolerances, and have rarely needed to significantly alter the size of the preload shims. Which raises one additional point; availablity of the shims. Neither Ford nor Mazda stock them any longer. Kia dealers may, but I don't know. I've made my own from shimstock.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Oh great. I also wonder why I don't see a case gasket in the build kit, just bearings and seals

No doubt when I open the manual and read what it says I'll find out more
          Last edited by Greywolf; 10-13-2018, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Too late to edit, oh well.

I looked through the factory manual, and this I think is beyond me even if for ONE simple reason: I'm not tooled up for it, and if I bring the trans and parts kit to a guy I met with a shop nearby (well thought of too) maybe he would do a benchtop rebuild without totally cleaning my pockets out.

The guages and what all to do it right would likely cost as much or more, and then there are both the experience and industry connection factors-
            How much you want to bet a guy who runs a pro shop knows exactly where to get any shims that might be needed?

He prolly has stacks of extras leftover from other rebuilds.

But a video on the eventual trans R&R I can definitely do, and I also want to get a clutch disc and get rid of some of the slack in the shift linkage itself

Comment

Working...
            X