How to remove big LX shifter SSknob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove big LX shifter SSknob

My 89 LX boot has been unattached to the console since a shop in SLC installed new shifter bushings. See photo #1.

It appears that something's not right below where the boot attaches to the console. Some perimeter rectangular part appears to be attached in the front and just hanging in the rear. See photo #2.

I've removed 8 (4 per side) screws that attach the lower console to the car.

I next need to remove the LX shifter knob (to remove the boot and then finish removing the lower console).

I found this thread:

but it ends without the OP saying he how he got his knob off and it may not apply to LX.

So:

1. How to remove LX shifter knob?

2. Anybody have a drawing showing what's below so I can understand what's going on and re-attach the boot?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 10-14-2018, 06:40 PM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Unscrew it

Sent from a mental institution
    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Your hillbilly humor is not appreciated.

I've tried with extra-large Channel-Lock and a rag around the knob, but it shows no signs of unscrewing.

Is there some sort of locking nut up inside the boot?
      Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 10-14-2018, 06:44 PM.
      88L black, dailydriver
      4 88/89 disassembled
      91L green
      91GL aqua pwrsteer
      92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Rude much?

That wasn't an attempt to be humorous. I'll leave now.

Sent from a mental institution
        Last edited by scitzz; 10-14-2018, 06:53 PM.
        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Well thats different. Can you pull the boot down away from the knob? If not can you pull the boot up over itself and see how the top is attached?
          Stock efi cars just have a knob that turns on with no set screw or lock nut. But with your console and different boot yours may be different.
          Once you figure out how to get the boot away from the knob you can see if there is some locknut or if maybe the shop used loctite... maybe a previous owner installed a setscrew or locknut or used loctite or glue, i do get annoyed at how easily mine turn.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
            Your hillbilly humor is not appreciated.

I've tried with extra-large Channel-Lock and a rag around the knob, but it shows no signs of unscrewing.

Is there some sort of locking nut up inside the boot?
            Scitzz is right, it should just unscrew. But it looks like you have the boot loose and can just look up in there or feel whether there is a locking nut. FWIW, I never saw a locking nut on a Festy shift knob.

I think you should be able to reattach the boot now that the screws fastening the lower console are out. Those slots in the bottom of the boot are obviously what hold it to the console. Might have to work from underneath to get them fastened. A minor hassle, but should be doable.

This is one of those situations I just go for it, and find a way to get it done. Not exactly a critical drivability issue.

Possibly a PO installed the knob with red Loctite or epoxy on the threads? A dumb thing to do, but you know how people can be.

I use blue Loctite to keep my shift knob from turning. Still unscrews by hand, but harder to do of course.
            Last edited by TominMO; 10-14-2018, 07:06 PM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

The base part you need is 7262.
              I used that part to secure my black Pathfinder leatherette boot

Comment

Way up inside the boot I found flats on the bottom of the knob, stretched the boot to detach it from the knob, and used a 20mm wrench to unstick the knob. It's plastic -- easy to break, but I got it off w/o defacing it. Photo attached.

BTW, I've never ever seen 20mm used on anything, Festiva or otherwise.
                Attached Files
                88L black, dailydriver
                4 88/89 disassembled
                91L green
                91GL aqua pwrsteer
                92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

As I suspected, there was damage below.

The rear 2 (of 4 total) boot retainer were broken off the lower console, allowing the boot to detach from the six tabs. See photos.

Easy epoxy repair job. I'll leave the broken posts attached to the retainer while gluing to maintain alignment.

I know the boot wasn't flopping around before I stopped in at the shop in SLC to have new shifter bushings installed. Undoubtedly, they manhandled things trying to figure out what to do and figured I'd never notice or, if I did, I wouldn't drive 10 hours back there to complain. If you want something done right -- do it yourself!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 10-14-2018, 08:23 PM.
                  88L black, dailydriver
                  4 88/89 disassembled
                  91L green
                  91GL aqua pwrsteer
                  92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Thats interesting. Is that something added to the stock shift knob or is this a shift knob off something else?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

This is an 89LX. Right next to it, I have an 88LX manufactured about 6 weeks before the 89LX. The 88LX's shift knob looks the same (though I did not pull the 88LX's boot down from the shifter knob for fear of damaging the boot, particularly as we're down into the 40s temp-wise here already in the evenings). And a 3rd (but non-running) LX 50 feet away is the same. So I'd say all LXs are like this.

A 91 here is completely different -- a little spherical ball with colored shift pattern on top and no flats for wrenching and no lip for attaching a boot like on the LX knobs.

Unlike the 91, the LX knobs all have just have a non-colored pattern molded into the top.
                      Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 10-14-2018, 09:47 PM.
                      88L black, dailydriver
                      4 88/89 disassembled
                      91L green
                      91GL aqua pwrsteer
                      92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Working...
                      X