Need help with main fuse block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with main fuse block

I have a 1990 Ford Festiva L Plus. Im trying to change the main fuse block fuses. It originally had the wiring there.

Problem started as the car would not start or over crank over. Replaced the alternator because all signs pointed to say it was bad. Still didnt start. Did some research. Cleaned wires in main fuse box near firewall and replaced metal connectors, and she fired right up. Problem is, the middle "Red Main" wire was corroded and burnt in middle. Used a 12 guage wire and made a new wire. Worked for a time and it burnt up. Trying to replace with fuses. I used to 40 fuses on the ends "brown". Used a 50 fuse in middle Red Main fuse.
    I am using these because I got lucky and found a Festiva in a junkyard that had these fuses in its main fuse block.
    Also signs try to point that something is draining the battery. Used a multimeter to do a parasitic draw test, but doesnt seem that anything is draining juice when car is completely off.

Symptoms I'm having:
    Car starts sometimes, sometimes has trouble. Sometimes tries to die while driving. Sometimes it will start up right away, sometimes need a jump. Doesnt die when pressing gas, only when braking or in park. Sometimes has a rough idle one start up or when holding brake at stop lights. Half the time it idles fine.
    Headlights dim and get brighter at times when car wants to die. Hook ups to headlights: one was green and corroded. Cleaned it up. Other was burnt looking where the metal inside plastic connector is.

My question is, 1. What fuses should i use to replace main fuse block wires.?
    2. Could corrosion on head light bulbs be draining the battery.?
    3. Could replacing fuse block itself fix the problem, if the problem isnt that I am using the right or wrong fuses.?
    4. Is there anything anyone could think of that could cause this problem.? Short in wiring coming from main fusebox causing it to burn up all wires and possibly fuses.? Anyone have this issue before or anything similar.? Any help appreciated. This is my 1st post on the site.
    Last edited by Sparkleface; 10-29-2018, 11:46 AM. Reason: Added details

So the wires in there are actually called Fusible links and should never be replaced with regular wires because they don't work quite the same. You can replace them with Long Leg PAL fuses Pink Green Pink is the colors that you would want to use. I would recommend pulling all of your ground cables and cleaning or replacing them as well as checking the Positive Cable going from the battery to the Starter. Also clean up the terminals in the Fuse Box first and use a little Dielectric grease on the terminals. Also a good set of Brass Battery Terminals seems to work pretty well from what I have seen just make sure to flip the cable clamp so that it gets a nice tight clamp on the cable and spray it with some battery terminal protector spray.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

I have checked and cleaned all battery terminals. I also got a new battery and still had same issue.
      I have also checked and cleaned all the ground wires. None seem to be damaged or in bad shape. So i havent replaced them.i have also cleaned up the terminals inside the main fuse box.

I will get the pink green pink fuses for the main fuse box and see if it helps. Thanks for your help. I will post again whether this fixes my problem or not.

Comment

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Check all of your hoses to make sure you didn't accidentally pull one off.

Comment

I havent replaced the fuses yet in main fuse block. I still have green red green.
          But i pulled the wires from the fuse block and the ground and cleaned it all up. My Festiva has been running great the past two days. Hoping this fixes the issue i was having. Hope the main fuse block doesnt burn my middle Red Main fuse up quickly.

Comment

I have replaced the main fuse box. The fusable links were replaced with pink green pink. A new battery was installed. Cleaned all ground wires. Cleaned main fuse box. Cleaned headlight plug wires after taking the wiring out of the plastic clips. There are no vacuum leaks. And done everything suggested. Still can't figure it out. Still keeps dying. Can anyone please help me here.? I have run out of ideas..
            Should I repost in a new thread since this thread is somewhat older.? To get more views and help...?

Comment

Your symptoms of poor idle and dying while applying brakes could be due to low engine compression. Have you checked compression on all 4 cylinders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
              “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

I have changed spark plugs. And checked the compression. I get the same reading for all 4 spark plugs. Whats the compression supposed to read at for this vehicle.? 1990 ford festiva L Plus.

But the main issue now is that sometimes it doesn't want to start and wont start up at all. I have to give it a jump and it is starting to hurt my other cars battery.
                Alternator was also replaced in the past 3 months. A new one, not a rebuilt one.

I have listed all my issues. But the battery issue is driving me insane.

Comment

Need help with main fuse block

175-200 PSI would be considered normal. If you have much variation between cylinders, that could also indicate a problem.

Also, what is your voltage at the battery with the car running and not running?

Last edited by dalebwilson; 11-12-2018, 08:07 PM.

Comment

I'll check the voltage in the morning and let you know whats it is reading on and off.

Comment

Does any one have a 1990 Ford festiva L Plus wiring diagram.? I found a 1989 and a 1991 festiva wiring diagram in another help thread.. Should these be fine to use.?

Comment

The 1990 should be the same as the 1991 I believe.
                        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                        sigpic
                        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

I am still having the same issue. Put a new battery today. Died when i parked it. What is going in here..?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkleface View Post
                            I'll check the voltage in the morning and let you know whats it is reading on and off.
                            Did you check the voltage?

Comment

I did check the voltage. I thought i posted it. Let me check it again. Only problem is I camt get it running till tomorrow when i charge the battery.
                              but i did check and it was reading 0 when turned off. It was reading 0.1 or 0.2.. But i removed bulb from ceiling light in the car and the. The battery was reading 0 volts (when off) after removing the bulb.
                              But all of that was done before putting a new battery in today....
                              Last edited by Sparkleface; 01-07-2019, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X