Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are 93-auto wiring harnesses suitable for upgrading 88/89LX-manuals to FI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are 93-auto wiring harnesses suitable for upgrading 88/89LX-manuals to FI?

My long term plan is to upgrade at least two (I have four) 88/89LX manuals from carb to FI.

I've recently acquired two clean (but not running due to engine/transmission issues) 93 automatics which I intend to disassemble for parts.

Will the 93-automatic wiring harnesses be suitable for the 88/89LX-manual upgrades to FI?
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

-What about swapping the engines and transmissions from the 88 + 89 into the '93 bodies? And of course swapping the needed parts, intakes with injectors, exhaust with correct O2 sensors from the bad '93 engines to the good '88+'89. All things being equal the '93's should have 5 years less of our worst enemy : rust.
    '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
    '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
    '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

There is some minor differences between auto and manual wiring. But since you have whole cars it should work. Petal wiring is different. Trans wiring is different. All differences are easy fixes. Good luck

Comment

RickTheQuick -- cars don't rust here in the Rain Forest! The 88/89LX bodies are both perfect. The 93s aren't LX ("Luxury"?) models; the whole purpose of the upgrading is to have LXs without all the nasty emissions control nonsense.

Studebaker -- Right .. the automatic wiring won't have anything for the clutch pedal switch. Do you have further particulars on the wiring differences?
        Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 11-03-2018, 09:18 PM.
        88L black, dailydriver
        4 88/89 disassembled
        91L green
        91GL aqua pwrsteer
        92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Look at the auto to manual swap threads to see the differences.

Comment

Can we assume you've considered just replacing the feedback carburettor with a simpler non-feedback carburettor?
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Studebaker,

Thanks, I'll review those threads.

WmWatt,

My plan is to convert the LXs to FI. I've read on here that there are carbs that dispense with much or all of the emissions control plumbing, but I don't see any reason not to switch to FI, even if it means transplanting the complete engines from the 93s (or other possible donors I have here and at another location in WA) into the LXs. It's just about impossible nowadays to find anybody who will do engine compartment work, even just AC stuff, on cars containing carbs. With no rust (except some isolated stuck bolts like the one at the bottom of the battery tray or the ones holding the exhaust manifold heat shield), my fleet will be running for a long time to come. All of my LXs have moderate to serious hesitation/stumbling problems.
              88L black, dailydriver
              4 88/89 disassembled
              91L green
              91GL aqua pwrsteer
              92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

I know you are planning on replacing / switching the whole wiring harness.

Comment

Another reason I like the LXs (over FIs) is that they have "normal" shoulder belts. I hate those "track" belts that self-activate on door closure -- particularly when they stop working!
                  88L black, dailydriver
                  4 88/89 disassembled
                  91L green
                  91GL aqua pwrsteer
                  92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

I would think changing the wiring harness to be the hard part. And the first think I would do.

Also the wires may be different between the orange and white
                    cluster.

Comment

My auto to manual swap was a cake walk You do have to swap the pedals,axles and the shifter ,flywheel clutch transmission and starter. splice the two wires for the neutral safety switch together,splice the backup light wires in. that's it ez peazy. When you get there P.M. me I'll go look at my car and tell you which wires swap where but it was dirt simple.
                      Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
                      My long term plan is to upgrade at least two (I have four) 88/89LX manuals from carb to FI.

I've recently acquired two clean (but not running due to engine/transmission issues) 93 automatics which I intend to disassemble for parts.

Will the 93-automatic wiring harnesses be suitable for the 88/89LX-manual upgrades to FI?
                      Last edited by ricko1966; 11-12-2018, 11:28 AM.
                      30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

What is this orange vs. white instrument stuff anyway? Aren't all LXs orange and everything else white?
                        88L black, dailydriver
                        4 88/89 disassembled
                        91L green
                        91GL aqua pwrsteer
                        92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

88 and 89 are all orange 90 on up are all white.

Comment

All of my WA 88-89 Festies are LXs; that's why I associated orange with LXness!

One of my two AK Festies is an 88/89 4-speed (so not LX), but it has a busted gearbox, so I don't spend much time looking at its instrument cluster.

I prefer orange over white.
                            Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 11-13-2018, 06:21 PM.
                            88L black, dailydriver
                            4 88/89 disassembled
                            91L green
                            91GL aqua pwrsteer
                            92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Most of the wiring diagrams at the back of the Haynes manual are labelled "1993 and earlier" or "1994 and later" with some labelled "1988 and 1989" or "1900 to 1993".
                              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                              X