No announcement yet.

coolant temperature sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This adventure came to an end today. Beware when ordering a coolant temperature sensor. They are different for the carburetted and fuel injected engines. A lot of sites, including good old Rock Auto, only offer the one for the fuel injected engine and if you don't know they are diffrerent you'll order the only one offered which is for the fuel injucted engine. That's what happened to me. When I went to put it on it would not fit. I got the rigth one from Amazon who won't let you order the part until you have told them what trim (ie model, L or LX) and engine you have. Nice.
    Last edited by WmWatt; 06-17-2019, 09:57 PM.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

A few tips on replaclcing these on the carburetted engine. You have to go from underneath to get a tool on the sensor (19mm deep socket with a 5"-6" extension and swivel rachet works) and loosen it but once loosened you can reach from above under the intake manifold and unscrew it by hand avoiding the outflow of liquid cooland which I read is not healthy. A pail or pan placed under the engine will catch the couple of cups of spraying liquid which will run out in the time it takes to get the new sensor screwed in hand tight from above. Then go back underneath with the tool and tighten it. The clip on the connector came off on me and I had a heck of at time trying to figure out how it goes back on working mostly one-handed from below. It takes two hands to get it back on so I hope you have skinny arms like me to get the other hand up far enough to just steady it by the fingertips. Geesh! Once it's on and tested by driving arund until the thermostat opens the check engine code can be cleared by disconnecting the -ive battery cable and dcepressng the brake pedal for 5 seconds. That's the carburetted engine, mind.
      Last edited by WmWatt; 06-17-2019, 09:59 PM. Reason: poor spelling
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Okay, bringin' this one back from the dead again. My response to the OP was made 3 days before I had to evacuate due to the Camp Fire. I actually picked up the part at that time and just went to finally install it the other day. This is the sensor on the front of the engine, not rear under the intake. NAPA part # is TS6046 and it's too big, with bigger threads. Took it and the old part back to NAPA and their book shows only wrong one for my app. Again, the car is '90 5-speed but has a replacement engine. Did earlier or later block take a different part? Unfortunately, these days, even NAPA doesn't keep a variety in stock for comparison purposes. Some of us remember stores that had a whole bunch of parts in the back and one of the counter guys would usually be willin' to take the time to try and match up your old one with the right new part, or even let you loose to check 'em yourself, as long as you made sure to put the right one back in the correct box. BTW, the only marking I can see on the old one is the number 70. Anybody have a clue as to what I can do?
        Rob J

Comment

Okay, this is what looks the most like mine. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...352&cc=1128079 Found it lookin' under '88 Festy and it is the part for sending unit to dash gauge. Is there somebody here who had had experience with the two different sensors? Do some 1.3 blocks have just the sensor on the rear and is that only for sending signals to ECU? Any help would be appreciated.
          Rob J

Comment

Working...
          X