Plethora of issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plethora of issues.

#1. The thing that is turned by the part you stick the key into is broken. This is an issue because they are not made anymore.
    20181120_175033.jpg
    #2. When I mid-press the gas, the engine tends to stall.
    #3. My main fuse line (the one in the middle) has fried three times -burnt straight through the copper-.
    20181120_175237.jpg

That is all for now.
    I appreciate any help sent my way.
    Last edited by Nehemiah; 11-20-2018, 07:00 PM.

New ignition switch:

As for the main fuses, change them with real fuses:

If it continually blows the new fuse, something is obviously shorting out.
    Last edited by Flw Sock; 11-20-2018, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I can send you that inside piece for 25 bucks plus shipping.

Sent from a mental institution
      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Many possibiites for engine stalling, differetn for carburetted and fuel injuected models.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

The wire you have in place of the main fuse is not rated as a fuse. Replace them with the Long Leg PAL Fuses like in the picture above, they simply press in place of the old fuses. If if keeps blowing after that then you have some kind of electrical problem. Make sure all of your ground points are nice and clean. I would suggest either cleaning or replacing that positive battery terminal.

As far as the engine stalling it could be numerous things. I would start by looking for a vacuum leak and replacing the fuel filter.
          "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
          sigpic
          "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
          "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
          "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
          "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

It's caurbureted.
            Replaced the fuel filter three weeks ago.
            Mechanic said possible intake manifold gasket problem.
            Would that cause vacuum issues?

What amperage is best for those fuses?
            Last edited by Nehemiah; 11-21-2018, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Pink Green Pink - I believe it is a 30 40 30

The gasket issue could cause problems like that. Try spraying some starting fluid around the area that may have a gasket leak to see if the car idles higher, easy way to tell if there is a leak.

Did you mess with the Fuel Injectors at all? The O-Rings should be replaced if you take them out because they are old and brittle and can also cause vacuum leaks.
              "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
              sigpic
              "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
              "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
              "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
              "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
              https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Fire: he says it's carburetted.

OP: You can also mist with a plant sprayer which is cheaper. With the engine running in case that wasn't clear. A vacuum leak will slow the engine in that case. Since you've had a mechanic look at it I assume he's wiggled all the hoses to see if any are loose? You can double check by doing the same. Some loose hoses will make the check engine light on the dash come on.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

There's also a method to pulling the codes. It's covered in the haynes and the service manual.

Comment

I did the same thing with the mechanic that I'm doing here. Describe the observations, assume they're part of the problem.

He said 'intake manifold gasket' when I said 'fluid coming out of the case, at the highest seam' and also 'it isnt blowing white smoke out the muffler'.

At the moment it isnt starting- might be an issue with the wire that's not rated as a fuse.
                    I have plenty of start fluid, it's never started without.

I don't have a code device, and nobody around town carries the right code reader/has the expertise to read it.

Edit: Cool, you DO use BBCode. The FAQ said a lot about vBcode, I wasn't sure what that wasm
                    Last edited by Nehemiah; 11-21-2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

You don't need a device to pull the codes. I think it's the wire connector by the brake master. Ground it, turn the ignition key to on position and count the flashes on the dashboard of the CEL. Double check the service manual for that procedure though, I'm pulling that off the top of my head and my head is unreliable.

There's a pdf of the manual floating around for free fifty

Comment

Wait, you have fluid coming out of what case?

How about describing all the issues?

Comment

Ok here goes.

I had to replace my alternator three times and battery twice in the first month of ownership.

Alternator: the belt just wears weird. I have to retighten it once every month or so. The alternator lock frame might be malformed somehow, causing abnormal wear on the bearings.
                          20181121_161724.jpg

Battery: parasitic draw from somewhere. I have not the expertise to perform diagnostics nor the money to pay a diagnostician. I pull out the battery every couple of weeks (or days, when the weather is humid) and recharge it from 11.6-13.2 V.

On occasion, usually after some significantly strenuous driving (above 65mph for longer than 4 minutes, or accelerating from 0-45mph in less than 8 seconds), my next startup will be 'difficult', and it will take some time (time feathering the gas peddle) before any reasonable acceleration (or torque) can be accomplished.

I thought I had resolved this by replacing the old (looks like 2008, and for a not-Festiva) fuel filter and discontinuing usage of ethanol fuel. Apparently not.

There is and has been for some months now, a leak of some type (I have not yet tasted it, so I cannot be sure what it is) from the uppermost seamline in the engine block.
                          20181121_161753.jpg

I replaced those fuses, tried to start it up, and blew this fuse.
                          VZM.IMG_20181121_163152.jpg

I think that is everything that is relevant at the moment.

Comment

To read the codes you ground the one pin white connector beside the brake master cyclinder then turn the key to ACC and count the flashes of the check engine light. To erase the stored codes you disconnect the negative battery cable and depress the brake pedal for 5 seconds. I wouldnt' erase the codes until the repair is done.

"Uppermost seam on engine block" sounds like valve cover gasket. Valve cover is the metal shield covering the valves so it's probably seaping oil. But the fuel filtre is on the back right of the engine block and if the leak is there it would be fuel and the pump needs replacing, a simple job just two bolts. Your mechanic should have noticed and said something if it was the fuel pump.

Make sure the alternator belt is strung correctly. It's easy to put it on the wrong bottom pulley as there are two down there. Don't overtighten the pulley because too much stress will ruin the bearings in the alternator.
                            Last edited by WmWatt; 11-21-2018, 09:19 PM.

Comment

So the fuses I'm blowing has somehow increased to four.
                              Room, Cooling Fan, Meter, and Engine.VZM.IMG_20181122_133423.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X