Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spindle + rear axle nut torque spec

Hey guys,

Doing some work on the festiva and was hoping somebody could tell me what the torque spec is for the nut on the rear drums and what to torque the 4 spindle nuts to.

Thanks,
    Karl G

Here's the specs and procedures out of the factory service manual. Do yourself a favor and spend the $20 or so and buy one. They can be found on eBay. Don't waste your money on anything other than the genuine Ford factory manual.
    '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
    '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
    '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Here is a cheap way to measure the preload of the hub bearings. It's a fish scale that you can buy at Walmart for around $5. I'm sure it is not as accurate as a good Snap On inch pound torque wrench but it can easily checked for accuracy by hanging a 5 0r 10 pound weight from it. Maybe I got lucky but the one pictured is known to be accurate. Put a wheel stud at 12
      o' clock and put the hooked end around the stud. Pull slow and smooth and read the scale.

'88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

As regards the wheel bolts, torque to 65lb/ft, no more, the threads in the drums just aren't that strong. If you have converted to studs, 75 lb/ft is correct.
        No car too fast !

Comment

Working...
        X