No announcement yet.

Gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half way through 1989 they switched from carburettor to fuel injection. The carburettor model has a mechanical fuel pump on the back top driver's side of the engine block. The pump arm runs off a cam on the camshaft. I have the carburetted model and have replaced the fuel pump. Two bolts and a gasket. Take off the air cleaner, take off the two fuel hoses, unscrew the two bolts, pull out the pump, clean off the gasket. Pretty simple. Cost about $35 Canadian at the time. The fuel injected model has an electric fuel pump submerged in the gas tank.

I recently priced a replacement gas tank here in Ottawa, Canada. (I backed into an unmarked city-owned hole at a sewer replacement site on a side street and will be submitting a claim for damage to the tank.) I got a price of $210 Canadian on next day delivery from a local parts store. I've had the car up on ramps and it looks like a simple 4-bolt (5 counting the brake cable attachment) replacement from the underside. I removed the back seat some time ago for the cargo space so that is out of the way. I've had both the floor and wall cover plates off before for other tasks. The floor plate is easy to take off. To take the wall plate off where the filler spout is the whole side liner has to come off, several screws and plastic pieces. Time consuming but not a technical problem, as I see it.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

i just got done replacing my tank, and yes you are right, 4 bolts holding the tank to the car and 1 bolt holding the e-brake cable to the tank. there is also one line that you need to take off from the bottom on the drivers side, i think it's like a vent hose or something.
      On the inside the center cover pretty self explanitory, take the cover off (4 bolts), one connector, two lines, the side cover is held in by 8 bolts 4 that you can access by pealing the carpet back and the other 4 i had to take the inside panel off, then just disconnect the lines, 4 small lines, and the main one for filling the tank
      oh and my tank cost me around 180 Candian with taxes and shipping

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I got mine at ineedparts.com They got it to me next day and it's a nice tank.Came with new gasket and screws too . $185 bucks - free shipping . Came right out and went right back in without removing a thing . I like to do things once if at all possible.
        93 Festiva and 89 Festiva . Drivin' right past the gas station 4 out of 5 days and drive 60 miles one-way to work.
        89 Festiva-45.4 MPG's average-13" Metro wheels-145K and counting 93 red Festy 5spd. - 92 Auto & 90 Miata 1.6 5spd. 45mpg's & fast!

Comment

Rock auto $151.79 with locking ring and gasket.
          it runs so sweet
          91 L 5spd

Comment

Re: i dont know anything about festiva's

Originally posted by scubalude
            i bought a festiva yesterday (1989 l) and i was just wondering if,
            1.) where is the fuel pump located?
            2.)is there a rubber liner?

Is your 89 an auto or manual ?? 89 autos were EFI

Edit : Sorry I posted w/o realizing there was a page 2
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

fuel pump on a carb is easy to change. mine actually got a hole in the side of it and was leaking gas all over the engine. so i replaced it before my car caught on fire. :lol:
              89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
              92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
              New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

89 fuel pumps are either in the tank on the fuel injected automatic models or on the engine for the carbed manual models.
                youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

All the above info is spot on accurate. Except with mine the fuel pump, new via Napa, was 1/2 inch too high. Mechanic buddy recommended I bang below where the fuel pump inserts into the fuel tank with a metal pipe and a big hammer. Surprizingly it worked and didn't take more than 5 solid whacks with the 5lb. hammer. And never a tank leak yet; it's been 2 years.
                  Since the tank was very rusty, and able to totally clog up the new Napa fuel pump cleaning out the tank with Helm's tank cleaner along with always refueling at 1/2 a tank has worked well. Never a clogged fuel pump yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X