Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coughs and misses when I step on the trottle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coughs and misses when I step on the trottle.

My 88 carburated dies out when I step on the gas, it also dies sometimes when the headlights or heater fan are turned off, weird.

Sometimes it gets almost well and sometimes it gets really bad and stays that way. That's what it's doing now. Really bad, I can't drive it.

I changed fuel filter, fuel pump, distributor, coil, battery cables and today I am going to look at grounds.

I got it

Comment

What was it?
      ~Jeff
      1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
      1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
      2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

I did several things at once so I'm not exactly sure.

I thought I was going to have to park it until spring because it get really cold here and I have to work outside as I don't have a garage.

I woke up this morning and the weather was good so I thought I would give it one more try, I had spend a couple of days and hadn't been able to find it and the guy I bought it from had given up on shops trying to fix it.

I went after the grounds, I undid the little one in front of the motor on both ends and moved them around and re-tightened them, then I went to the ground cable from the battery to the block and did the same, then I went after vacuum leaks, the motor still unstarted, I took the breather off again and noticed that the hoses on the fuel pump and carburetor didn't seem tight enough, it was a new fuel pump. I redid those three connections, I then noticed a vacuum hose off near where I had undid the battery ground, I think I knocked it off the firewall when I redid the ground, when I put it back on I noticed it was not a tight fit, I cut a half and inch off and re-hooked it, it was now tight.

I started it up and it ran like a champ and stayed that way.

Comment

electrically heated choke coil giving you problems???

Comment

I don't know if it is or not. My temp only goes up about 1/8 of an inch and I don't think that is enough to get a full open choke. I'm thinking about resetting it to make up for it, I plug it in whenever I'm not running it so the soft plug heater makes for no starting problems, I changed the thermostat, it is still the same, the sending unit the other guy changed, the Gage itself I think is working. The valve cover and radiator are not getting hot hot.

Comment

Working...
            X