Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The worse wheel bearings i've ever seen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The worse wheel bearings i've ever seen...

Do wheel bearings just get bad just setting? The 95 Aspire I just bought and dragged home literally had only set for 9 months. But the front bearings was so bad that the wheels was actually hitting the caliper. Made quite a smoke show on the way home and melted one of the hubcaps. The rear wheel bearings were shot also that's why I loaded in backwards on the tow dolly. They set it originally because a grinding noise in the tranny I'm starting wonder if isn't wasn't the wheel bearings they were hearing. I can't check the tranny out since it needs a fuel pump but it has a new clutch and goes into gear somewhat easily. They had a mechanic look at supposedly and replaced the clutch. Some people never cease to amaze me...
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Nothing about this sounds right.The rear wheel bearings don't do that and the front bearings don't do that.Somebody has to have worked on all four wheels and left them all loose, there is no other way for this to happen.

Comment

Doesn't sound right but they were.. the lugs were tight. I bet when I take the axle nut and axles off the whole hub falls apart. The back bearings wasn't locked up but they stuffed them with grease... this will cause overheating btw. The bearings were purple, ie overheating, in color but no piting.
      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

its possible they had them changed and put all inner bearings or outer bearings in them.....i bet that would cause a mad wheel vibration. Or maybe thee none at all in there. Hey I've seen it done on a diesel trailer at CRST. They have the crappiest mechanics ever.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
        ---------------------------------------------------
        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

I won't have a socket big enough for the axle nut till thursday so I won't know till then. Compared to some of the things i've seen on this car nothing would surprise me.
          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Working...
          X