how can I fix this burned cable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can I fix this burned cable.

It runs over to the alternator. I went to jump my battery cuz I had the festiva sitting for a while and now I need to get it fixed so I can make room in my garage. Anyways is it possible to rewire it or do I need to get another harness? BTW I already tried electrical taping it, with no prevail. any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.
    91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
    00 f250- xlt 7.3 6speed 4x4
    88 gtx
    74 torino- enduro car.

Does that cable go from the alternator to ground, or alternator to starter?

One way or the other, you should be able to just replace it. It appears to be a fairly heavy gauge of wiring, and those tend to be separated from harnesses on most cars.

Jim

Comment

Cut it in half and hook a jumpercable between then.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom
        Cut it in half and hook a jumpercable between then.
        I hope that's a joke..

don't give half ass fix advice to someone.. that is just ignorant.

Fix it right, or don't work on your own car. Half assing electrical work is asking for a burn down, or at the least, a stranding.

(rant off)
        Have had 6 Festys... and counting...

My Website:
        http://www.StanfordMotorSports.com

Car Domain:
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/Quaddawg
        My Garage Page:
        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/vb...o=view&id=6724

Comment

He's trying to get it out of his garage.

Comment

Just wrap each jumper cable end with an old t-shirt or something so they don't short out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom
              Just wrap each jumper cable end with an old t-shirt or something so they don't short out.
              baloney, you can push the car anywhere you want...

DO NOT HALF ASS ELECTRICAL.

No offense Tom, but your recommendations are ridiculous.
              Have had 6 Festys... and counting...

My Website:
              http://www.StanfordMotorSports.com

Car Domain:
              http://www.cardomain.com/id/Quaddawg
              My Garage Page:
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/vb...o=view&id=6724

Comment

Judging by the gauge of the wire and what you have disconnected from the battery, it looks like that wire is your charge-back wire. That is the wire that charge to you battery from your alternator (via the positive terminal on the starter).

Just get two crimp-on ring terminal of an appropriate size and a heavy gauge wire and make a new one. It may be wrapped with the rest of the harness, but it should really be an integral part of the harness.

As long as nothing else in the harness is messed up, you should be OK.

Comment

Tom, I understand what youre saying but I wanna fix it right the first time so I can eventually drive it soon. I still need to fix a few other things to get it inspected.

I appreciate the help guys. I think I am just gonna replace the whole thing. Does anyone happen to have spare cables laying around. BTW both of the cables are eaten up. The one that runs from the alt to the starter and the alt to the ground.
                  91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
                  88 gtx
                  74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

They look to have been hot and burned, what caused that. Usually it's dead short somewhere.

Comment

I think its burnt, I dunno. I pulled my mustang up to it and jumped it off of that. I cranked the festiva over and didnt get anything then a few seconds later I saw smoke. And thats it. Im looking to just replace the cables. Unless I find a good deal on a capri xr2, Im gonna need to replace them.
                      91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
                      88 gtx
                      74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

I have seen that happen when the cables were reversed during jumping. ( Ummm, ok... I was the one that I saw it happen to )
                        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                        89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        There ain't no rest for the wicked
                        until we close our eyes for good.
                        I will sleep when I die!
                        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by niklid05
                          Does anyone happen to have spare cables laying around. BTW both of the cables are eaten up. The one that runs from the alt to the starter and the alt to the ground.
                          Check with PU241 he has a few parts cars and sold be able to help you. Just PM him.
                          Brian
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                          :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt
                            I have seen that happen when the cables were reversed during jumping. ( Ummm, ok... I was the one that I saw it happen to )

I dont think thats what I did but I know the terminals were pretty corroded. Dont know if that would have anything to do with it.

Check with PU241 he has a few parts cars and sold be able to help you. Just PM him.
                            Ill have to give him a pm. Thanks for the info.
                            91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
                            88 gtx
                            74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

Well I tried redoing the wires. It might have worked I believe. Because now the dummy lights come on like usual when you turn the key to run. The problem I have now is that when I go to crank it, it barely cranks over. It cranks for a second maybe, but very slowly, then stops. I tried jumping it. I checked all of the fuses in the fuse box and they were all good. Are there any fuses anywhere else that I might have missed? Could the starter be shot, or the alternator?

As my last resort, after a trip to the junkyard, im gonna contact PU241 again.
                              91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
                              88 gtx
                              74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

Working...
                              X