Update on '88 Festy rescued from 3 years of field rotting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on '88 Festy rescued from 3 years of field rotting

Hi. My last post here was about my car not being capable of sustaining a run. Found that the fuel pump was weak, it leaked too. Anyway, I thought I had it fixed. Between then and now I have replaced the 2 main brake lines and now have a resemblance of brakes. Took it out for a spin and could only get a few hundred feet before it would conk out. It would restart after 10-15 seconds of cranking. Today I took the top off of the gas tank and found my problem. Not sure how it ran at all. The screen at the end of the fuel pick-up tube was all but totally glazed over. Pulled it off and then noticed the tube it plugged into was a french fry away from needing a total by-pass! Worked a wire thru the tube and then blew the junk out. Wow, the cap that came out was scary. I then went to 3 local car parts stores to find a new screen. No luck. Soaked it in brake cleaner for about an hour. Came out pretty clean. Put her all back together and drove it around the block without stalling! Took it to UDF and filled up the tank. Need to get it legal so I can run a tank thru it. Should continue to run better and better. Noticed the valves make a bit a a racket. Are they noisier when they need adjusted? I will be changing the oil in the next day or so. Plates and registration Monday!!!

Thanks for everyones help. Hope this last bit of info helps someone else down the road.

Rick

Glad you got it fixed. That valve noise may go away after its driven some.
    sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

The valves are adjustable on the 88's. Can't remember the spec. Easy to do though.
      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

How do you take the top off your gas tank, this may be my problem too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom
          How do you take the top off your gas tank, this may be my problem too.
          There is an access panel under the rear seat. Remove the seat and pull the carpet forward and you'll see it.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
          BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
          BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
          New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Tom, like mattswab said, it is easy to get to. 4 screws take the cover off just below the carpet, then there are several screws that hold the tank access hole in. I vac'd around the top before pulling the cover off to avoid any other contaminants getting in there.

Yes, I'd read that the valves were adjustable and I figured rather easy to do. Will check around for a valve cover gasket and do it before the cold sets in.

Thanks again.

Rick

Comment

Thanks

Comment

congrats bud on your Festiva :wink: . I have two Festivas, a Blue 1989 Festiva L 4-speed that I bought as my first car for a $100, I call it Bizarre , it needs engine work that I'm about to get around to doing lol. And then there is my white 1993 Festiva L 5-Speed that my dad gave to me, I like to call it the Brave little toaster lol or toast for short . But any way good luck with your Festiva, they are good little cars.
                keeper of The Brave Little Toaster and Bizarre

Comment

Thanks Bizarre. I just put 4 new tires from walmart on yesterday. If I get the choke figured out, it will be great!

Later on, aye.

Rick

Comment

I've checked and adjusted the valves on my carburetted '89 a few times.
                    The instructions in the Haynes manual cover the procedure well. They say to do it while the engine is still warm so first time I went over it carefully in my imagination ahead of time so I could do it quickly before the engine cooled. I had carbon buildup on the #3 exhaust valve which was thowing the #cylinder compression off. An application of "top end cleaner" in the oil just before changing removed the carbon. If you do take the valve cover off, turn it over and look for cabon depostis on the underside. That is how I knew the #3 exhaust valve was leaking.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks WmWatt. It has turned colder here, so I may put that off until spring.

Appreciate the info though.
                      Rick

Comment

No problem rpickle, Glad to hear that your car is comeing along. I havn't been on much lately but keep us posted as I'm always happy to see a Festiva being reborn.
                        -Bizarre-
                        keeper of The Brave Little Toaster and Bizarre

Comment

Working...
                        X