Won't start with key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't start with key

I have a 1989 ford festiva, fuel injected, manual transmission. The car runs like a new one when you pull start it. It turns over well with the key but the coil won't fire. After dissassembly of ignition switch I found it ran after pull starting but wiggling the key caused a miss to near engine kill. Only two wires are still affected by the key located on back of switch. what do these go to? Do they complete a ground or something of that nature. I'm stumped. This is a great car and I really need to fix this problem.

They would have to be your ignition wires, they complete the circuit and get fire to your spark plugs. It sounds like you found your problem.

Comment

Does your fan run when it's cold and you first try to start it? I know on at least 2 or more EFI festiva's it wouldn't start because of the fan running, carb's maybe different. I know on my 91 if I giggled the key it would hesitate on occasion.. I don't know if the new ignition key cured that problem though.
      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Couple of days ago i had a spark problem like you. There is a couple of test you can do :
        1- unscrew the distributor cap and look if it turn when you crank the engine. (if he don't your timing belt is broken)
        2- try with a new coil
        3- try too ground your engine with a jump cable from the negative pole of the battery to the engine.
        4- try a new computer, it is under the dash driver side your are able too unplug it without take out the dash and plug a new one to test it.
        5- Get the wire diagram and find the ground

Comment

Working...
        X