89 fuel pump question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 fuel pump question

Is there any mention of adding shims under the carburetor fuel pump in the 1989 factory service manual? There's nothing about doing it in the Haynes manual i have.
    Just put a new one on her in March and shes got a leak in her diaphragm. Too deep a stroke maybe? A leaking diaphragm can costya. More ways than one! Thanks
    Is that someone there ??? 1981 VW diesel pickup---1988.5 Suzuki Samurai tin top---1993 Festiva---1974 Bricklin SV-1 ( very thirsty basket case)---2003 Tracker(bells and whistles)

)

Yes it can, I would say the new pump went bad all by it'self.

I have read though that a partially clogged fuel line or fuel filter will overwork the fuel pump and make it go bad.

Comment

I looked in my Festiva factory manual and it does show a spacer, unless they changed it for 89, it shows a gasket and then a spacer, mabe 1/2 inch or so and then another gasket and then the fuel pump.

Comment

you have to have that spacer in place so that the arm rides the lobe correctly. otherwise you'll over stroke your pump.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Wow,that has to be the problem then. There is no spacer on this car! The last owner or mechanic must of forgot to put it back on. Looks like i'll be rootin around in the yard today. I hope i can find one. Thanks guys.
          Is that someone there ??? 1981 VW diesel pickup---1988.5 Suzuki Samurai tin top---1993 Festiva---1974 Bricklin SV-1 ( very thirsty basket case)---2003 Tracker(bells and whistles)

)

Comment

I might have one I might sell if you don't find one.

Comment

I looked at mine today, its only about 3/16 of and inch thick.

Comment

shouldnt be to hard to make one, even if it is a cheapie if it works lol
                2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
                1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
                1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
                http://www.aintperfect.com/

Comment

Working...
                X