Some simple questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some simple questions

Recently picked up an 88 carbed festiva with a dead motor. I have found an aspire engine at a junkyard, it looks like very low mileage but they don't remember (of course), but they do guarantee it to be good. They want $250 for it, but I am going to see if they will take $200 and the old motor for a core. Do you all think that is a pretty reasonable price/deal? Also, before I put the motor in I thought that I would replace some gaskets and ensure its reliability. So far I am going to replace the valve cover gasket, intake manifold gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, rebuild the carb with new gaskets and such (already have the kit), Distributor o-ring, fuel pump gasket, oil pan gasket, camshaft gasket, exhaust pipe gasket, and sparkplugs. Am I missing anything that I should do while the motor is out? I have thought of doing the front and rear main gaskets, but they are kind of intimidating, should I do those too? Also I will be putting in a new clutch, having the flywheel turned, and changing the transmission fluid. This thing is going to be an awesome daily driver with around 40 mpg....Thanks for all the help!

What's "dead" about the original engine? You could do a lot of fixing with your $200

Comment

I wouldnt go changing gaskets unless you know they are bad. Esp the oil pan gasket. $250 doesnt sound to bad for a good motor. Might think about changing the timing belt and water pump. Aspire engine might be EFI. No need to rebuild carb. Welcome to the board and good luck with your project :!:
      sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I call the engine dead because it has over 225000 miles on it and low compression... Thanks for the advice Freshtiva, the only gasket that seems to be leaking on the aspire engine is the valve cover gasket, so I guess I will just change it. And yes the aspire engine is efi, but I have been told that I can put all of my sensors onto that engine, along with the intake manifold and it would be just the same, is this not correct? Also, with the car having over 225k, you really don't think that I would need to rebuild the carb. Sorry for not giving the high mileage information earlier.

Comment

It would be nice if you could keep the EFI and lose the carb. Some one here could tell you how possibly.
          sigpic

Comment

What year is the engine? The 97 maybe some 96's won't have the lobe for the fuel pump.
            91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Freshtiva, the carb is fine for now, I am not trying to do anything to this car. I just want it to use as a daily driver with 40+ mpg!!!

Ericsmith32, that is some good information to know...Is there an easy way to check for this? I mean the aspire engine is already out of the car and sitting on a engine crate. Could I possibly pop the fuel pump block off plate off the side of the engine and see if it is there? Anyone have any pictures as to what I will be looking for? Thanks for all the help everyone!

Comment

why not head gasket, it would be EASY with the motor out of the car

Comment

and water pump and tensioner and belt.

Comment

I agree with freshtiva on the gaskets. If they aren't leaking, leave them alone. I would look closely at the front and rear crankshaft seals for any signs of leaking. If they are leaking, now would be the time to replace them with the engine out of the car. As far as the cam lobe for the fuel pump, that's going to be hard to tell by looking in the fuel pump hole because the fuel pump lobe does not have a high point like a valve lobe. It is more like a shaft that is slightly out of round. You can try checking for a lobe by sticking a small round piece of steel in the hole and rest it on the camshaft. With the spark plugs removed, have someone turn the engine over with a wrench on the crankshaft pulley. Hold the piece of (smooth) steel on the camshaft while the engine is being turned. If the cam has a lobe, you should be able to feel the rod move up and down as it follows the contour of the camshaft. You could try this on your old motor to learn what it feels like. If it doesn't have a lobe, it's no big deal, You can add a "stand alone" electric fuel pump.
                    You gonna race that thing?
                    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I dont know about the water pump Tom, but I will be replacing the timing belt and tensioner before the motor goes in (sorry I forgot to mention that too)
                      Festy46: Thanks for the info, I will def. check the crank seals. I will also try your idea for testing for the fuel pump lobe. If there is not one, oh well, no big deal I have a couple inline pumps laying around, the idea of using one just hadn't popped into my head yet. It would be pretty simple to wire it into a continuous hot (with the key on of course) on the ignition switch
                      Kirko: I did think about doing the headgasket, well pretty much the whole top end, but I am starting to agree with these guys. Replace what is needed, and save my money for more important things...like a clutch.
                      Again, thank you all for your help, this forum is very helpful and I will def. be using it in the future.

Comment

Ptretty sure you'll need to replace the computer. If you have a Haynes manual you can compare the computer wiring diagrams in the back of the book. The default settings inside the computer most likely differ.

As mentioned, the carburetted model has a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the side of the engine block but the fuel injected model has an electric fuel pump submerged in the fuel tank.
                        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

why would I have to change the computer? The only things that I am using from the aspire is the longblock (block assembly and head), I will still be using my current carb fuel system. I will even be changing the sensors that are different. Because of these reasons, I can see no reason to change the computers unless the aspire engine has a different firing order or something. Correct, no?

Comment

Sorry, misunderstood what was being exchanged. Sounds like the computer would be fine.
                            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Festy46: I liked the bonus video on the "new festiva pit crew" at

Thats funny :!:
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X