Taking intake manafold off 88 carbed Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking intake manafold off 88 carbed Festiva

Remove throttle linkage and then all the hoses and electrical connections and then remove the four bottom bolts and then the four top bolts on the manifold and the whole thing is in my hands, does this sound right, I'm going to switch the whole thing from one car to another and it's 5 degrees here. I'm going to try and make the old gasket work.

Is there anything I am missing?

Is this as simple as it sounds?

I wouldn't reuse the gasket. More than likely you will do the job twice!
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay
      I wouldn't reuse the gasket. More than likely you will do the job twice!
      been there.. :evil:

Comment

did you forget the EGR tube?????

Comment

What is the EGR tube.

Comment

sorry my bad

its built in to the intake

on the passenger side

Comment

What kind of problems does this cause.

Comment

If that's the one I'm thinking it is, the short one about six inches long that runs from the manifold to the carburetor or something. The one that always gets in your way and is rubbed up against and pushed pretty hard when you are trying to take off the oil filter, the one whose clamps cut into your forearm when you are reaching in and loosening the oil filter and then when you are putting the new filter on, if it's that one, usually a kind of reddish fairly stiff hose in a "c" position above the alternator, if it is then the one on my old festive was broken and off for ever and it didn't matter, but maybe if it is plugged it matters or something I'm missing.

I finally just left it off and dangling there on my old festiva also an 88 carbed because it seems not to make any difference, I wish that hose was the problem I'm having now. If the old one breathed and this one doesn't that could be the proble. Thanks

Comment

the egr tube is built into the head and intake manifold, there's nothing externaly to go wrong, but if the passage is cloged, it MAY triger a SES light but it won't hinder the normal opperation of the engine. if for some reason the gasket between the head and intake is rotted away around the EGR passage, you "could" be drawing in extra air (going lean) when in a cruise situation. OR, the EGR pintle could be lifted off it's seat and alowing exhaust into the intake when the ECU isn't asking for it.

NOTE: the EGR only opperates in a steady cruise situation, and only after the engine has gone into closed loop mode. it isn't in opperation under any other driving conditoins.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Ok, so good or bad it isn't the cause of my current problem, Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X