how difficult?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how difficult?

i need new axles all around. i think. how difficult and spendy would it be to do it myself? keep in mind, no garage and minnimal tools. also very little experience. all help is appreciated. 93L efi 5spd. bone stock.
    I have owned 15 nissan/datsun's and 1 ford. What the hell is the matter with me?
    93 L

Half-shafts? 50-60 bucks a piece. Take a harmonic balanc puller and wedge between the half-shaft and tranny. Tighten it down and smack it with a hammer a couple time.. normally takes a few times but it popped out easily on the second on mine. Or you could just try to pop it out with a crow bar.. I've had two cars fall because of this method. On the wheel side remove the nut and if you have to smack it with a hammer.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

i wouldn't suggest using the puller like that as you have a chance of ruining the diff seal. when i change out axles, i remove the outer CV joint first by disconnecting the outer tierod end and turning the knuckle hard to the front, smacking the outer splines w/ a mini sledge and then tug the shaft straight out, slide hammer style. the inner joint won't seperate, so don't be afraid to pull hard. it shouldn't take much because the only thing holding the inner splines in the diff is a sprung ring.

when the ring gives way make sure you pull straight out or the splines can dammage the seal.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

just curious, how much would a shop charge me for all 4 with parts? with the snow and nowhere to do it i may have to pay someone else.
        I have owned 15 nissan/datsun's and 1 ford. What the hell is the matter with me?
        93 L

Comment

$400 or more.

Comment

my garage down the street charged $50.00 labor if i paid cash. i have had them do two of mine. i supplied the parts.

Comment

thanx for the help.
              93 L

Comment

Working...
              X