Difference between an aternator for manual and for an AT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between an aternator for manual and for an AT

Hi. Anyone know what the difference is between an alternator for an automatic and one for a manual? All I could see is that the auto alternator puts out an extra 5 amps. I need to know if there is anything else different, like mounting and/or connections.

This is for my 1988 L.

Thanks

Rick

The belt is differant because the pulley on the alternators is differant, sometimes the wiring is differant but they work and work good either way, the small one is not as good as the big one though, it just holds its own and sometimes doesn't hold its own, a just slightly loose belt and it doesn't charge enough and to tight ruines everything.

Comment

Thanks Tom. So what kind of belt does the auto alternator need? I should be able to swap pulley's between my alternator and the auotmatic alternator, right?

Have my eye on one and want to make sure I'm not getting something else that will just end up laying around the shed......

Rick

Comment

One belt is slightly shorter or longer than the other, enough that it won't work, not sure about changing pulleys, I usually just put the other belt on.

Comment

another question on this subject. i installed a hatch w/ rear defrost on my manual car from an automatic. mine didn't have it before. it seems to take quite a while for my r. defrost to work. could this be from the lower amps of my alternator? thanks.

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

It take a long time for that voltage to travel thru that itty bitty wire :lol: :lol:
            ------------------------------------------------
            The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
            Smart Passion white with H-D interior
            HD2500 Duramax Chevy
            Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
            Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
            Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
            Z28 LS1 power 500 +
            90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
            It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

My rear defrost takes awhile to get warm too.

Comment

^^yep, mine too. just a fairly cheap system thats all.... at least it works
                ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

thanks. i figured that was the case. it is definitely nice to have.

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

Working...
                  X