Strange road noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange road noise

I've got a '89 Festiva L 4sp with 138k miles. It's been making a strange whirring/droning noise (almost like the sound big mud tires make on a truck going down the highway) that begins around 20mph and increases with speed. It's hard to isolate where the noise is coming from, but I think it's the rear. I've replaced the rear bearings and put on new tires (I thought they might have been cupped or uneven) but the noise continues. Anybody got any suggestions? In addition, I had both CV axles recently replaced, which leads me to believe it's not the front hubs or bearings. HELP! [/img]

Oh, yeah, I've also replaced the break pads and checked the rotors/drums recently.

Comment

Jack it up and spin the wheels by hand.

Comment

im hearing the same or simmilar noice myself. drives me crazy on the freeway. i have done everything you have, and its still there.
        I have owned 15 nissan/datsun's and 1 ford. What the hell is the matter with me?
        93 L

Comment

is this your first festiva? How loud would you describe it as, just because I know some that have never owned a festiva before, do not realize the amount of road noise they produce, and your symptom might just be one of the festivas common noises.

Comment

Sound like front wheel bearings to me. Have you checked your transaxle fluid level lately?
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

i will check both of those thanx.
              I have owned 15 nissan/datsun's and 1 ford. What the hell is the matter with me?
              93 L

Comment

About a year ago I had both CV axles replaced. I've never worked much on front wheel drive cars, but wouldn't the front wheel bearings have been removed (and hopefully inspected) for this procedure?

I've owned this festiva for over two years and the road noise I mentioned has gotten noticeably louder. Inside the car it sounds a lot like being inside a truck with really aggressive mud tires. I'm at a loss here....

Comment

No the bearings on a festiva are pressed in, and more than likely your mechanic never took a look at them because they are part of the hub. But who knows...

I know my front wheel bearings on my car are shot, and its really loud, does the noise get any less when you take a left or right turn fast? This would be a indication of bad bearings. Mine make the whole car loud.

Comment

mine is so bad that i wont drive on the freeway anymore. sounds like being in a jeep with superswampers on the freeway. when i bought the car the guy told me it was because the tires are so small. i fell for it.
                    93 L

Comment

They wear out so gradually you dont notice them getting louder, but once you change them its a world of difference. If they are that loud Id get them change soon. You might read the thread by archiebold in the repair forum http://www.fordfestiva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9140 as to costs for repair and tips if you want to tackle it yourself.
                      sigpic
                      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Believe me...it is the front wheel bearings. Mine was makeing the noise you mentioned and I thought it was the tires for the longest time....finally got so bad a few weeks ago that I had it towed and me and a friend tore apart the front end and it was the bearings...but I also needed a new spindle cuz I let it go so long it wore that too.

Change the bearings....and then enjoy the quiet!
                        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                        89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        There ain't no rest for the wicked
                        until we close our eyes for good.
                        I will sleep when I die!
                        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

mine made the same noise and it was the lack of tire rotation and the back tires were cupped.

Comment

Sounds like rear wheel bearings to me.
                            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Working...
                            X