Ignition Timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Timing?

I had a mechanic install a remanufactured head and a new timing belt on my 1989 FI Festiva. I got it back last week and it would die at stops. I looked at it yesterday hoping to just adjust the idle speed and be done. The first thing I did was check the ignition timing with my inductive timing light. The timing marks on the pulley were on the opposite side of where they should line up with the timing guage that is bolted to the engine. There was no way to adjust the timing properly and get the marks to line up like they should. I am going to take it back to the mechanic. What would cause the marks to be so far off?

You have to ground the test wire before checking the timing; get a Haynes manual and this will make sense

Comment

Yes I have a haynes manual and I did ground the test wire before checking the timimg and the marks are way off. I am thinking that he probably just put the crankshaft pulley on wrong. Is this possible?

Comment

It's possible that when your mechanic put the new timing belt on, he got it one notch off. You can't put the pulley on wrong. There is a keyway in it.
        You gonna race that thing?
        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Thanks for the info on the pulley. I'll reply after I take it to my mechanic tommorrow.

I won't be doing any racing, just saving money on gas.

Comment

Originally posted by dannylp78
            Yes I have a haynes manual and I did ground the test wire before checking the timimg and the marks are way off.
            Did you ground it before starting the engine? I noticed that if you ground it after it is running it has no effect...

Comment

The sticker under the hood does not say anything about grounding? Mine is also an 89 fi. I tried grounding it before and after starting and there was no change. Mine is an automatic. Maybe they are different.

Comment

Working...
              X