valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve cover gasket

i am leaking oil from my valve cover and my oil pan. are these difficult gasket to replace. all i have are very, very basic tools. and no garage to work in. and its pretty much my only car. 93L efi 5spd.
    I have owned 15 nissan/datsun's and 1 ford. What the hell is the matter with me?
    93 L

valve cover is very easy...only one socket and some differant extensions. The oil pan is not that bad...same ...just one socket...I forget the size..and some diferant extensions. I would suggest just using silicon gasket material on the oil pan (but make sure it is clean and dry of oil)....much easier then trying to put it back up there with a gasket slipping all around. I did both in my driveway with just some general sockets and a ratchet and a set of ramps ( if you have them).
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

You need to pull the throttle body off to do the valve cover.
      69 Shelby GT-350, 351W, 4 spd
      97 Jag xk8 vert
      06 Mini Cooper S GP
      93 Stiva
      04 Volvo S80

Comment

Are you sure both of the gaskets are leaking? The valve cover leak could be dipping off the oil pan. From my experience the valve cover gasket is a lot easier than the oil pan. When you get a valve cover gasket get a throttle body gasket also. Ive always removed the TB to replace the valve cover gasket. Ive heard you dont have to ? I had to replaced the same oil pan gasket three times once before I got it to quit leaking. Just my experience.
        sigpic
        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Replaced two valve cover gaskets both on 93's, never needed to remove TB to get valve cover off!
          Agree with Freshtiva, change valve cover gasket first, much/all of perceived oil leak could be from valve cover gasket!
          Also spend the few dollars extra and get the gasket with the bolt seals/grommets and do not over tighten the bolts.

Pu241
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

ive seen sets of gaskets on ebay. are those good enough to use, or should i call fms? or just buy one gasket at a time?
            I have owned 15 nissan/datsun's and 1 ford. What the hell is the matter with me?
            93 L

Comment

I just change mine a couple weeks ago, got it from Advance Auto and it included the bolt seals/grommets.
              The valve cover bolts are 10mm.
              ~Jeff
              1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
              1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
              2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

how much was it? was it the valve cover or oil pan?
                93 L

Comment

Valve cover, I don't remember how much, but it was less than $20.
                  ~Jeff
                  1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
                  1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
                  2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

thats in my price range. thanx.
                    93 L

Comment

$16.00 at O'Reillys and that is the good one that comes with all new insert's and grommets for the valve cover .
                      I replaced mine in about 20 min . I just had to bump the starter one time so the V/C would clear the rockers .
                      ------------------------------------------------
                      The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                      Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                      HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                      Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                      Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                      Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                      Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                      90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                      It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

right on. hopefully i wont have any problems. but if i do i know where to come for help. thank you all very much.
                        93 L

Comment

Did a plugged catalytic converter back pressure and blow your gaskets?

Comment

i have no idea. i guess i should look into that as well. thanx.
                            93 L

Comment

VC gasket at AZ for around $10 i think, they had it in stock i just walked in and bought it.

no need to remove the TB, if the VC doesn't come off right away w/ it there you will see where it is hanging up a little... about 4-5 strokes of a file and mine came right off.
                              ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                              91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                              1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                              2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Working...
                              X