Need help id'ing Festiva motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help id'ing Festiva motor

I was recently GIVEN an '88 Festiva that doesn't run. Many people, including some from here, have told me that it's a timing belt. My problem is that the girl that I got the car from thinks the motor was swapped out before she bought it. She says that the last time that she bought a cap and rotor for it, the parts that she was given didn't fit. I kinda think that it was a foul-up on behalf of the guy at the parts counter.

Is there any easy way to ID the motor in the car so I can be sure I'm buying the right parts?

I'd like to tear into this beast this weekend, so I'd really appreciate some quick help.

I have some basic pix that I can e-mail, (I don't have any online yet) that I'll happily send out to anyone who's willing to help.

Thanks in advance,
    Vance

As you face the engine from the front of the car, look at the back right side of the block where the head and block come together. You should see an "ear" sticking out as part of the block casting. The top of this "ear" should be machined smooth and have "B3" plus a serial number stamped on it. You may have to use a wire brush or sand paper to clean the area if it is rusted.

As far as the distributor goes, the parts guy could have given her parts for a fuel injected distributor instead of a carbed engine. The distributors are easy to tell apart. The carbed distributor has a double vacuum advance diaphragm on the side and the fuel injected does not.
    John
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Working...
    X