Dreaded engine falling on swaybar issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreaded engine falling on swaybar issue

Driving home from work today and notice quite abit of slop in the engine when taking off, got home and saw the engine c/m sitting on the swaybar. It was pretty bad when i had the engine apart but thought it would be ok, well it wasn't. Did a quick fix if drill 2 12mm holes in the rad support top and used 2 12mm x 3-1/2" bolts to secure it. Still need to get a couple of piece of metal to sandwich around the core support. Anyone else do this? I don't have a big enough welder to put new metal in, so this will have to do until either it fails or I get ambitious.
    69 Shelby GT-350, 351W, 4 spd
    97 Jag xk8 vert
    06 Mini Cooper S GP
    93 Stiva
    04 Volvo S80

I had the same thing happen with a festy I got for my Nephew. I did the same thing you did with the bolts and 2 pieces of 1/4 inch metal to sandwich over the coresupport. Works fine and I planned on that being the permanent repair. Now I have to do the same thing on this car that I got for my Niece. All because of road salt.
    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Do you have a picture of this failure? I think I might be having the first symptoms of this. It is all corroded on the piece just in front of the engine front support bracket. I have it in for welding. There is a big hole right next to the lower rad support. I am having the rad support moved over for the Aspire rad. The bodyshop guru said I should weld in a piece of angle so that the two bolts go through it just in case. I was just going to weld in a piece of flat stock, but he is right.

Comment

Working...
      X