2 festivas with similar problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 festivas with similar problems

hey guys, i got kind of a weird thing going on, my freind's red 91 L+ that i thought had a bad timing belt actually has a good timing belt, its a efi 5 speed, and doesnt like to start or stay running, it does start up but acts like the timing is out of wack, if it wants to keep running the idle speed is way high, like 2500 RPM, after letting it idle for like 10 minutes it will drop down to around 1500-1700 RPM but wont usually go lower than that, when i am driving the car it will only accelerate slowly and if i try giving it too much throttle it will bog down. the check engine light is on sometimes and off other times.

the 2nd festiva is a red 1989 L with a carb'ed motor and a 4 speed, it starts up good but idles high, i am guessing around 1500 RPM, the car drives ok but if you try to give it a lot of throttle it bogs down.

whats the deal with these? festivas are suppost to run great all the time! is there a common problem that could cause these symptoms? i remember reading something about an oil passage that gets clogged up somewhere that causes something like this but i might be wrong. any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    AIM= bobbo216

I'd get the transistorized points tested for free at an auto parts store. Fast idle was a symptom when the one on my carburetted 1989 was going. Another was random stalling. It failed the idle circuit test.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

vaccum leak

check for vaccum leak... small hoses unplugged or similar...

good luck

yvan

Comment

Might check a couple of threads in this section below yours

"festiva misses"
        "My 89 festiva idles too fast"

Maybe something will strike a chord
        sigpic
        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
        X