No announcement yet.

Aspire problems continued...WITH PICS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire problems continued...WITH PICS!

OK, so it turns out that I definitely broke the half shaft.
    OK, so....I got the half shaft off, and as you can see the broken one is pretty seriously missing 5 or 6 inches! (pic1, and pic2) However, I'm having a TERRIBLE time trying to separate the Steering control arm, from the nuckle! I got the Castle Nut off, but I can't get them to separte, therefore I still can't get the knuckle off, so I can get the nut off! GRRRR!!! I know somebody here has had to this, so what's the trick, I've banged on it with a dead blow, I've tried using a pry bar, I just can't get it. PLEASE HELP!

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
    1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
    1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
    1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

I am pretty sure the best tool fro that is a pickle fork .
    It is wedged and goes in between them to separate them .
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

You don't have to take the tie rod end off if your just replacing the axle. What you have to seperate is the balljoint, on the bottom of the hub. At least this is how I have done it. Its a pain in the butt, but you have to remove the bolt, then get someone to help you pry the hub away from the joint, usually with the help of a crow bar or someones foot putting pressure down on the balljoint arm(?) Im having a brain fart, the supporting arm that ties into the frame... While someone pulls up and out on the hub, you might need a second crow bar for that, once they are completely seperated you can manuver the hub plenty to get the axle out.

Have you got the hub nut off yet that holds the end of the broken axle in? If not, before you do everything previously mentioned, take the circle clip of the broken axle put the axle back into the tranny, have a friend help you line up the broken part with the other broken half then use a large mallet on the hub to get them to pop back together. Then loosen that hub nut, remove it, then take the axle back out. I know this because the blue car I sold to damn kid was broken the same way. Its not really broken, but the bearings are all gone, and that part you can see that should be hidden by the boot, murges with splines on the other half.

Comment

If you want to replace the tie rod also....then you can use a mallet to separate by hitting the tie rod from underneath where the threads are. But the pickle fork that Pack speaks of is the easiest way. You can get one from Auto Zone for free from their loan a tool program.... I love using them for that kind of thing but for parts....I usually buy somewhere else....lol
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

BY the way....you should take off that caliper so you do not ruin your brake line too.
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I had the caliper off, but the guy at the junkyard that pulled the new half axle said it was un-necessary. Anyway, I just called autozone, and I can pick up my pickle fork (aka tie rod puller) in the morning! thanks for the advice on that one....anything else I should look for?

Comment

Nope...you should be good....taking the caliper off gives you more room for play and if it is like the Festy....there are only 2 bolts to take out anyway...so is very easy on and off....have fun
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Oh yeah, I've taken off my calipers a bunch of times, but the guy was pretty into not taking them off for some reason. I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to hold that back side from spinning when I'm getting the nut off. I can't put the axle back into it, it won't go, and if I try and turn the nut it just spins. The guy at the junk hard said that if I do it with an air impact that it will just come off, I was thinking maybe put it in a vice? Any good ideas from anyone?

Comment

What nut....the axel nut? If so...just have someone hit the brake while you loosen it.....then take off the caliper after that.
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  I will sleep when I die!

Comment

I would use a tie rod end puller to get that tie rod end out. Harbor Freight sells them for under $10. (AdvanceAuto probably lets you borrow them for free) It works like a regular puller but the arms are fixed. Once you get the knuckle off stick it in a hydraulic press to get the remains of the half shaft out. That way you are less likely to damage the wheel bearings.

Comment

OK....I guess I didn't explain it well....The reason I can't take off the axle nut is because the back side of the axle nut isn't connected to anything! Where the boot used to be, is just spinning in place and as far as I can see, I can't figure out anyway to hold it, so I CAN get the nuts off. From what the guy at autozone said, the pickle fork is easier to us to get the tie rod end out. And Autozone has them in there Barrow it by paying for it, and then they give your money back when you bring it back.

Comment

Just for fun...if you don't know what a pickle fork is, this is my son holding the one I rented, and it worked great....Anyone have any ideas on the nut though?

Comment

Originally posted by gadelbert1
                          Where the boot used to be, is just spinning in place and as far as I can see, I can't figure out anyway to hold it, so I CAN get the nuts off.
                          When you say it is spinning. Does the hub and the brake rotor not move when you turn the axle nut? If the hub and brake rotor are not turning when the axle nut and shaft are turned, you have stripped the splines out of the hub and it is probably junk. If the hub is turning and since the axle is junk anyway, you can try splitting the nut with a sharp cold chisel. If you have an air chisel, that would be even better.
                          You gonna race that thing?
                          http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

A local tire store took 15 minutes of their time, and a bunch of cursing, after heating it up, and really working on in with an impact it came loose! Can't wait, back together should be MUCH easier! On the road by noon tomorrow is the goal!

Comment

Awesome , I am glad you are making progress .
                              ------------------------------------------------
                              The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                              Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                              HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                              Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                              Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                              Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                              Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                              90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                              It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Working...
                              X