1990 Festiva Idle/Stall Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Festiva Idle/Stall Problem

So I just bought my first Festiva! 1990 automatic for $800 here in NE Ohio. 108k on the car, 70k on the engine. Looks fantastic, in 9/10 condition, great buy!

Anyhow, one of the problems I've found is this.

After the engine warms up, I cannot sit at intersections w/o dropping the trans into neutral. If I don't, the car will fluctuate from 100 rpm to 1000 rpm and will most likely stall. If I have the headlights on, it's almost guaranteed to stall.

Headlights off, in neutral, it idles perfectly.

When the engine is cold, or just starting to warm up, it idles fine no matter what.

I've replaced plugs, wires, distro cap and rotor. No change. I am thinking maybe alternator or battery problem, but the alt looks okay (visual inspection) and the previous owner just put a new battery in it.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    -Nick.
    1990 Festiva base model 115k body, 75k engine with auto trans, paid $800. New front bearings, plugs, wires, rotor and cap and I get 40.5 mpg.

auto zone will test it for free and that way it will let you know for sure instead of keep replacing things, that can get costly, good luck!!
    ***THE VWCHOPPERMAN***

(2)90 festivas
    66 VW Bus - 66 VW Beetle
    1979 Yamaha XS 650 chopper

Comment

Yes Check to see what your car is charging at with the lights off and then with them on. It might not have enough voltage. Check the ground wire too.
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

Thanks. I live across the street from an AZ, so I'll have 'em check it out.
        1990 Festiva base model 115k body, 75k engine with auto trans, paid $800. New front bearings, plugs, wires, rotor and cap and I get 40.5 mpg.

Comment

alright let me know how you make out!! i wish i lived accross from AZ :scratch:
          ***THE VWCHOPPERMAN***

(2)90 festivas
          66 VW Bus - 66 VW Beetle
          1979 Yamaha XS 650 chopper

Comment

Working...
          X