Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

89L Carb keeps running after key is off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89L Carb keeps running after key is off.

Hi,

I have an 89l carb that chugs after the key is turned off. The idle runs pretty high. The only mechanical problems I can see a the middle solenoid (E/L maybe?) on the firewall has the vacuume line broken and the exaust behind the cat has a hole. If I pump the gas after cutting the key off it will quit running.
    The (plastic) idle screw is backed all the way off. Could this be a choke problem or a timing problem or maybe just a vacuume problem.

Thanks
    Eric
    Blue 1989 Festiva L 1.3 carb 160K+, Aspire 5spd, Aspire swap, Tach, Added A/C, Intermittent wipers.
    Aqua 1991 Festiva L 1.3 FI 200K+, 5spd, Aspire swap, tach, Intermittent wipers.
    Green 1995 Aspire 1.3 FI 95K (RIP Saved my 18yo sons life)

I think you are describing a automotive sympton called "Diesling" This could be caused by quite a few things, but I would definetely fix that broken vacum house, and spray your carb with some cleaner. Your carb's float might be stuck partially causing the high idle. I would look up diesling to find all the possible causes on google.

Comment

Along with what Logan said check your timing also.
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

Thanks!
        Its amazing what having the right word to punch into google does for you.
        I think that I am on the right track now. Now if I can just get time to work on it !

Eric
        Blue 1989 Festiva L 1.3 carb 160K+, Aspire 5spd, Aspire swap, Tach, Added A/C, Intermittent wipers.

Comment

The condition is also called "preignition". Wiping off the iginition wires usually clears it up on my Festiva. If not take off the distributor cap and wipe that clean and dry as well. Listen to the engine idle and see if you can hear it missing, a syncopated or rising and falling idle, instead of a steady regular firing. It usually accompanies preignition on mine.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks for all the help! The problem seems to be in the front valve plate of the carb. It is sticking. And when it does gas just pours out of the jet.
            I think I got it worked loose but some times it wants to stick. The as yet unnamed car just got a midpipe and muffler, a new headlight, new tierod boots and i am currently putting on new cv axles. Hopefully it will be ready to pass inspection soon and can become my DD.

Eric

Comment

it could also be a biult up carbon that stays hot enough to ignite the gas, my 66 did that for almost a minute with no way of stopping it

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2304767

Comment

Working...
              X