Automatic transmissions and power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic transmissions and power

since we took that joy ride in the GF 5 speed 93'... I see how much power this engine has with a stick shift.
    now my automatic doesnt have that kinda power, from a dead stop or going up ills ect... no contest, its a slug.

before I begin a step by step strip and clean of the transmissions bits and pieces, when they were NEW, was the auto trans ('96) in the aspires THAT sluggish? I dunno who would have bought one if they test drove one, then tested a stick.

now I changed the fluid, that did smooth out the shifting, did nothing for the power.

would a clogged screen cause a marked lack of power? or is the automatic just a sluggish cow even in top condition?

I have a bad sholder and hip so the auto is what i am sticking with.... but if I can boost the power a bit.... I mean, dont get where you have to get out of someones way, it doesnt happen fast.

it shifts fully into gear, it doesnt slip out or shift up and down abnormally. it just has no power. Fine for zipping around town and here and there, but I wouldnt get out in heavy traffic on a bet.

maybe there is a tweak or 3 some of you know on automatics to get some more guts out of them?

it has 107k on it.... compression is 180+ on all 4. runs smooth and quiet. fresh full tune up.

the old trans oil was pretty dark, but not black.

advance the base timing to 8 degrees btdc. You'll loose 1-2 mpg, but gain a bit in accel.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I have it advanced to the point it doesnt ping, if I advance it anymore it will start to ping.

the timing marks are not where the book says they should be. they say there is a scale on the timing belt cover but my cover is smooth where there is suppose to be a scale.

so I set it by eat and feel, if I advance it another mm it will ping. where it is has the most power and no pingging.

i would like to find that damn scale but it isnt there.
      I mogt be looking in the wrong place...
      96? the chiltons haynes and the ford shp manuals all say where it should be.... it aint there.

Comment

auto transmission

ok if you just advance the timing until it pink you have at least 5 to 10 deg too much...this engine never pink under normal conditions and if you do not adjust it properly you can melt the 4 pistons-rings. (my old engine...) next the trouble is not the transmission, it is the engine ... not enough torque to spin wheels in the snow...and a first gear 2.84...to tall for good start with 64.5 hp. try to install a b6 :lol:

Comment

I would adjust it text book if i could find the %^$#@! timing scale that isnt there.

:lol:

Comment

Working...
          X