Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am going to try and replace my windshield!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am going to try and replace my windshield!!!

I already: removed the trim (will need new trim because I broke all the plastic clips), and I have cut the gasket seal around the perimeter... I think I need to cut it from the inside as well before I try and pull it out. Any tips to getting the new one in?

Pay someone. Watch them do it and maybe you'll want to try it. My freind does window installation and I've seen it done many times and I still prefer to let an expert do it.

Clean all the sealant. Remove it all and clean the glass. Using the proper sealant put a large bead of it around the window frame. Then set in the window.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

anyone that's done this here? There are some plastic pieces that hold the trim in, is the trim universal? I love working on my baby!

Comment

The metal trim is not universal. The plastic clips are used on different Mazda cars. If you need these you'll have to find an automotive supplier that deals in clips and fasteners. I was able to find a place in Cleveland that had them.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I put one in this past fall. Is actually pretty easy.
          Need to clean all the sealant off that you can.....make sure the glass is clean. Have a caulk gun and a tube of windsheild sealant...I got mine at Napa. Once the old sealant is cleaned off....put a nice bead of window sealant around the whole frame....pay good attention to the corners. After that is done carefully set the windsheild into the frame...there were 2 little rubber spacers on the bottom edge of mine....onto the spacers and then lay the windshield back onto the top of the frame. If you have someone to help...I didn't.... it would be a lot easier. After it is in.....press all around and you can actually watch the sealer spread out and fill in all the gaps. I let mine sit till the next day before I drove it.
          I still have not gotten around to finding clips to replace the trim though....lol.
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

glass sucks!!
            ***THE VWCHOPPERMAN***

(2)90 festivas
            66 VW Bus - 66 VW Beetle
            1979 Yamaha XS 650 chopper

Comment

How much is a new windshield? When I was calling around for quotes it was either super high or they didn't stock it.
              OX SMASH!!

Comment

I got mine from th JY for 75 bucks...I leyt them rmove it...If I wanted to get it myself it was 50 but if it cracked...it was still mine. Ummm........yep...I broke one then paid the guy to take it out...lol
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I get them every 6 months it seems.. just got 3 they were 90.00 installed.

Edit. but the glass is from Mexico not the good glass.. already have a bullseye on 2 of them.. grrrrr

Comment

yeah the trim is going to be a pita. I effed up one but I'm stealing a good windshield from one of my parts cars. hopefully I can save the trim too! I don't know how to get the trim in?!? Have you guys seen those long rolls of the black sealant instead of out of a caulking gun?

Comment

Originally posted by j0nathan67
                      glass sucks!!
                      yup
                      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I'm a windshield installer.....look at my profile for occupation. Anyways they carry the windshield sill it is part number FW544, I can pick them up all day long for 40-50 bucks new. You can go to the junkyard and salvage a lot of plastic clips because i couldn't find any around here....my glass supllier no longer carries those. You need a cold-knife to cut away the eurathane from the windshield, you can do it with a long-knife if you have the patience. A long-knife is basically a pipe-kinfe with a utility blade on the end. It takes more than just an ordinary caulking gun to dispense eurathane.. I't high viscosity, meaning you'll probablly get a sore forearm from it. You'll probably even break the caulking gun trying to dispense this glue. Let me tell you a secret keep the bead as small as possible, and foam dam the pinchweld close to the interior planels before you apply the glue. That way you don't get "squeeze out".

BTW if your careful with a interior panel door tool remover you can remove all the trim piece with out bending a single one and save have of the plastic brittle retaining clips. If you guys want hold off till ohiostiva -07 or something and I'll bring up a dozen of those winshields or so and put one in for whoever wants one 100 bucks windshield, labor, and glue. But you supply the clips because I'm not hunting down 25 junkyards for festiva moulding clips. Or Matt can pick some up new.
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Originally posted by xpnsyd
                          I get them every 6 months it seems.. just got 3 they were 90.00 installed.

Edit. but the glass is from Mexico not the good glass.. already have a bullseye on 2 of them.. grrrrr
                          Most all the glass is made in either mexi-calli (Pilkington), Ppg which is USA, honk kong (FYG, lamisafe, XYG) and a few other Asian countries

BTW 90 is a good price

Comment

Originally posted by j-san117
                            yeah the trim is going to be a pita. I effed up one but I'm stealing a good windshield from one of my parts cars. hopefully I can save the trim too! I don't know how to get the trim in?!? Have you guys seen those long rolls of the black sealant instead of out of a caulking gun?
                            I believe your talking a byutol (spelling). I'ts on a roll with paper wrapped around it??? If so it was put into cars pre mid 1980's earlier on some cars. While its easy to work with, if your involved in a front to front end collision your windshield won't do it's job. To keep you inside protected. Plus over time it will harden and break away from the glass, causing the glass to vibrate. Normally if it leaks with byutol you might as well pull it out and start over.

I still use byutol today....on peterbilt 379's....that's it

Comment

i had a quote from a glass place here in st.louis and it was new $225.00 installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X