Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windshield wiper repair....................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield wiper repair....................

The wipers on my festi have taken a dumb on me, and I really need to do some serious r&r on them. One post doesn't seem to be connected to anything: the wiper doesn't move. The other side (drivers) ripped itself, mount and all, from the body panel. Can someone tell me how to get to this panel to repair the damage?
    I'm assuming that I'll need to remove the fender, and cowl panel.

Thanx
    Dave

Had the same problem,you need to break the spot welds on the cowl panel first, then remove panel,or pull up enough to get to the wiper transmission if it ripped out like mine did, then go to junkyard take a cordless sawsall cut off what you need from a festiva, either weld or rivet patch in. Also while at junkyard pick up what parts are broken on your wiper transmission
    Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
    99 Dodge Caravan SE
    95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
    94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
    78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
    78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
    03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
    95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
    95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
    95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

i thought u could undo the wiper motor bolts and then unscrew the wiper linkage access plate. this should allow u enough room to get a flat blade screwdriver behind the plate to pop the ball on the wiper motor from the socket on the linkage. now u can get the wiper motor out of the way. now just unscrew the flat nuts under the wiper arm dust covers. this will free the linkage from the cowl and then u pull the linkage out through the linkage access hole in the firewall that was covered by the plate.

Comment

Thats what i did.... ^^
        ---------------------------------------------------
        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
        ---------------------------------------------------
        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Yup, just checked the manual, that's the exact procedure. Very nice.

Comment

Thanx guys! Looks like a bit of work, but gotta do something, cause it's worthless to me otherwise. Appreciate the info!

Dave
            Dave

Comment

If it ripped itself mount and all from the body as mine did. Then he needs to do what i posted
              Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
              99 Dodge Caravan SE
              95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
              94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
              78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
              78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
              03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
              95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
              95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
              95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

I have the same problem - the little plastic cup on the transmission wore out, and the end popped off the socket. I had no problem accessing it through the motor plate, but I'm not having much luck finding a replacement. Tried jobbers, dealership. No luck. I have very limited exposure to wreckers where I am, and if i did, would a used one not develop the same problem?

You guys are better than NASA when it comes to these little rocket-mobiles. Anyone figure out a way to McGiver the problem?
                Cheers!

Fishtiva

Comment

lol...way to resurect a dead thread. I bet if you put a wanted to buy add in the sale section you would find somebody has the parts or will be willing to pull the parts from a car at a yard near them. As for the new/used parts doing the same thing....maybe but not that likely....it is not a common problem.
                  "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  There ain't no rest for the wicked
                  until we close our eyes for good.
                  I will sleep when I die!
                  I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

'nuff said. I'll check it out.
                    Thanx for the advice.
                    Cheers
                    Cheers!

Fishtiva

Comment

I am going to try and install my new Festiva wiper assembly (F1BZ-17566-A)without distorting the thin sheet metal of the cowl. The shop manual says to support it with your hand from below. I hope my hand is small enough to fit through both access plates. A small flame to the nut might help.
                      I believe that all members should consider popping the arm off the wiper motor, cleaning, regreasing and reattaching it. It would prevent a seizure after over twenty years of use. There is a big glob of yellow grease in the cup of my new assembly.

Comment

I just swapped out the assembly for the wiper arms in mine a couple weeks ago. Pretty simple install. I have small hands though...
                        -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                        Random Festiva Parts
                        Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

I drilled out the cowl panel spot welds and the cowl panel does not want to slide out. Does the windshield have to be removed? My windshield was already replaced - maybe adhesive went down the cowl panel and holding in place? Do I need to remove the lower windshield trim also?

Comment

My driver side wiper broke free under the cowl because the mounting area rusted thru due to the metal being stretched thin there during forming. I ended up cutting a 5" x 5" hole in the firewall right there with an angle grinder with a thin metal cutting wheel. Then I could reach in and fasten a chunk of steel plate in there at the right angle, with some 1/4" nuts and bolts. I re-mounted the wiper mechanism on the steel plate. Been working fine ever since. I didn't see any point in re-covering the hole I cut.
                            Last edited by denguy; 10-14-2014, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Check out this thread for removal help.

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
                              Jerry
                              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                              90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                              92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                              93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Working...
                              X