Overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overhaul

Does any one of you guys know what is the correct procedure for breaking in a recently overhauled engine ,B3 by the way, and what oil should be used for this????

Everyone does it different , But I still go by the old rule of thumb . Break them in like you are going to drive it.

As for oil I run 10W30 Pennz in everything , except the Hot rod's , it gets 5 W50 Castrol Syntec .
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Run it in for the first 20 minutes at 2000rpm using regular oil. Change the oil. Drive it for a couple thousand miles (don't beat on it too much) with regular oil. Change the oil. After that, do what you do.

The first 20 minutes are critical for breaking in. The cam and lifters become good friends, and the rings start to seat. The next couple thousand miles are just to be sure everything gets together and meshes. After it's done, you can run whatever oil you want, drive it like you want, whatever.

Comment

I agree with Packrat427 except for the oil,I prefer 10W30 Castro regular car. Hot rod MOBIL 1 ,Motorcycles Mobil 1 for motorcycles
        Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
        99 Dodge Caravan SE
        95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
        94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
        78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
        78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
        03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
        95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
        95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
        95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

I have broken in engines both ways and really couldn't say one was better than the other. The biggest thing is to change the oil and filter a couple times.

Will
          Festiva/Mazda genetic splicing researcher B6T / G25MR for 5+ years and counting.
          187.7 WHP @ 5500 RPM

Comment

6,500-7,000 rpm start ups break the cam, and main bearings in just right. Hold firm at 6,000 until it starts missing, and then you are ready for three consecutive 4,000 rpm clutch drops, or 7,000 rpm neutral drop if you have an automatic.--Jeremie

Comment

But isn't true that the engine must notbe rev tu hard??? Does it matter if I use 20w50 Quaker State dino juice????

Comment

i agree with monkeyracing. i like to use an electric fan to cool radiator more.

Comment

Quaker State 20W50 in your climate should be fine
                  Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                  99 Dodge Caravan SE
                  95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                  94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                  78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                  78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                  03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                  95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                  95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                  95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

i remember rebuilding my 350 years ago and the moter was so tight that the starter had trouble turning the moter over. i forgot to gap the rings.

Comment

i read on mazda protege.net or something (not sure) that the procedure should be something like this:
                      1) start up let idle for 20 min (or at least untill temp guage reaches full operating temp for a few min). after idle, change the oil.
                      2) take it out on a fairly empt peice of road and open it up to full-throttle in third, take your foot off the gass and coast down to 2-3k rpms WITHOUT taking it out of gear. do this 5+ times, this helps to seat the rings. Change oil and filter.
                      3) drive it like normal for the next 500-1k miles, change oil and filter again.
                      4) done, change oil at normal 3k mile intervals and drive it like you want.

I think thats the procedure i'm going to folow on my B6 when i finish the rebuild...
                      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

I would disagree with the idea to idle the new engine for 20 minutes. Idle should be avoided for prolonged periods of time with a new engine. Drive it around like normal to get to regular running temps and then start the full throttle runs to seat the rings.

Here is a link to some interesting reading on engine break in procedures.

1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
                        2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

what is the best oil u can buy, i dont care what the price is, what would be the top performance oil for a 92 festiva?

1.3Liter 4 cylinder FI , OHC, FWD, 3DR, 4ST, Stud. Tires

Comment

I'm going for Quaker State 5w50 full synthetic or may be mobil 1 5w50 synthetic as well

Comment

I would say royal purple or lucas would be worth a shot if you want a good performance oil and don't mind the price.

Comment

Working...
                              X