Causes to trigger check engine light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Causes to trigger check engine light

Hi. My '88 had the check engine light come on while I was on my way home from work. I was at highway speed (65-70mph), I noticed the light and simultaneously could feel the car buck/miss a few times. I let off the throttle a bit and the light went out and it didn't come back on. On my way in tonight, the light did not come on. So, on a carb'd car, what are the triggers for the check engine light? I would like to get this straightened out 'cause I am planning on driving her out to St. Louis next month (1500 miles round trip).

The car, otherwise, run well. I am averaging 35-38mpg in mostly all city driving. It has about 129k on it. I have replaced the fuel pump, plugs, wires, cap/rotor and fuel filter.

Appreciate any help.

Rick

Could be pretty much anything under the hood. I suppose the first thing to check might be the EGR system. The symptom you describe makes me think it'd be worthwhile having a look.

Comment

Thanks. What in particular? Hoses, EGR valve? Anything in the EGR system that may be more typical of going out? The EGR valve can be pulled and cleaned?

Thanks

Rick

Comment

Check the EGR valve itself for function and cleanliness: they get clogged, and the diaphrams can break. Check the vacuum lines in the system. If you can find a way, see if the egr passages are clogged.

I had a car once where the entire EGR passage system in the intake manifold was packed completely solid with carbon.

Comment

OK, sounds like a good plan. When the weather breaks, I'll give the valve a close look.

Thanks

Rick

Comment

when you come to st.louis pm me if you have any trouble because i live here.

Comment

Thanks. Appreciate the hospitality! Will be there the week of March the 19th on business. I have had it on the road since late November and it has ran fairly well considering the way I found it, in a field and not registered since 2000!

Thanks again. (Hope to not need ya though.....)

Rick

Comment

You can also try a bottle of sea foam. To clean up the inside of the engine.

Comment

Yeah, I was planning on dumping a can in before the trip anyway. Now I have another problem, broke my door handle off trying to get in tonight. Ice is very thick. Thought I had it, when snap.... Argh....

Rick

Comment

Look in www.ncf.ca/~ag384/Cars.htm for a description of checking and cleaning the EGR valve on my carburetted '89.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

WmWatt, Nice and useful. Appreciate it. If the weather gets more reasonable next week, I'll be doing this for sure. Took me hour or more today to scrap the 1/4-3/8" ice off of the glass! Yuck....

Rick

Comment

Working...
                      X