Compression problems/idling problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression problems/idling problems

Allright guys here's the deal, I have a 92 Ford Festiva L , FWD, 2 door, 4 set, 5 speed manual, 1.3 Litre stock engine that is having compression problems and is constantly missing a beat when idling (gets worse longer it is left on). When the car is shut off or just started running, you get a faint smell of gasoline. I suspect that it is a burnt exhaust valve, a faulty fuel injector, or the camshaft is worn down.
    I am planning to overhaul the car and put a new transmission in it, and crack open the engine block and fix the problem if i can figure out what it is from the compression test. Now if anyone has any idea what these problems might be a little more specific, let me know
    I need to know what the valve assembly uses, I.E. Valve rods, Valves etc.
    I also need to know if the car is an overhead camshaft or not.
    Any other information that may help let me know.
    Thanks, PM me or respond.

No one go out of your way to find out anything yet, i'm probably purchasing another 92 festiva with new tranny and other parts for 200$ and a working motor (insurance and sticker still on it as far as i know)
    If i buy this car, i will most likely not bother fixing the compression problem in the old festiva, more likely to be stripped down and converted to electric.

Cancel that too, car was sold when i got there so still looking for opinions on whats wrong with my rig.

1.3Liter 4 cylinder FI , OHC, FWD, 3DR, 4ST, Stud. Tires

ummm I know u said that car has been sold but if ur "rig" has some of the problems you posted you can Vacuum test it and get answers. I will post another thread on how to do this so hopefully it becomes a sticky.

Comment

If you just take off the valve cover you should be able to see if an exhaust valve is leaking by the carbon deposits on the underside of the valve cover. Some years ago I found the #3 exhaust valve on my Festiva was leaking and was able to clean it off with an engine additive. The compression evened out nicely. I'm more concientious about oil changes now.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

by vaccum test u mean compression test? cause yeah i know im borrowing my grandfathers tester, just havent got around to it because i can't drive the car on the road anyways. no insurance.
        Im going to buy some valve cleaning solution to add to the fuel, a combustion technician i know told me about it.

1.3Liter 4 cylinder FI , OHC, FWD, 3DR, 4ST, Stud. Tires

Comment

Working...
        X