aspire is burning oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aspire is burning oil

ok im burning oil as ive posted before, but im wondering if its the valve seals or w/e and am wondering how hard to replace those, and if it would be better to when i can afford it to buy a block from pnp and do a complete teardown and rebuild on it.

i cant afford to have my car down so this would have to be a weekend job,

just getting tips right now, leme know wat yall think
    2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
    1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
    1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
    http://www.aintperfect.com/

if it only burns oil after sitting for a bit, then i would say valve seals, if it does it all the time then i would say piston rings

valve seals aren't really that hard to change

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

well put it this way, i only drive around 150-175 miles a week right now, and im having to dump bout half a quart give or take some every week, i dont see it smoking after its ran for a bit unless its extremely cold out like it has been the last few weeks, (5-25 deg f)

and i looked on my local parts store website and they didnt have valve seals, hmm one sec let me call ok said that he can order htem and 19.88 per set, ima call around to a few more but can you post a how to on how to change them?

Comment

it has been a while since i done it but obviously you gotta take off the valve cover, you'll need a vavle spring compresser (i think thats the real name for it) and for each cylinder that your doin make sure the piston is at top dead centre, otherwise the vavle could fall into the cylinder and you'll probably need to take the head off to put the valve back in place

anyway once the valve cover is off, you need to take off the rocker arms (i beleive they are 12mm bolts that hold them on) then you need to compress the valve spring and take the keepers out (you'll see them when the spring is compressed) they stop the spring from coming off of the valve, once the keepers are out you can take the spring off of the valve and then just pull off the valve seal and install the new ones

i would take out each spark plug so it'll be easy to check that the piston is at top dead centre

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

BARDHOL valve cleaning solution, cleans the seats of your valves, might do the same for the seals. don't know, but it makes more sense spending 15$ once on that, then 15$ a month on oil.

1.3Liter 4 cylinder FI , OHC, FWD, 3DR, 4ST, Stud. Tires

Comment

where can i get this

Comment

Canadian tire. If you can't get it there, i dont know who else will sell it. if your american, probably any mass automative seller.

I know a combustion technician who says it has good results, my mom is buying it just to put it through hers just for good measure.

1.3Liter 4 cylinder FI , OHC, FWD, 3DR, 4ST, Stud. Tires

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid
                make sure the piston is at top dead centre, otherwise the vavle could fall into the cylinder and you'll probably need to take the head off to put the valve back in place
                Two things
                1. the old 'Rope Trick' remove spark plug and feed lots of3/8" nylon rope in
                2. remove plug, get threaded fitting and pressurize with shop air, only good if your valves and rings are decent

Both should keep the valve from dropping in

Comment

ya i think ima hold of on the seals for now as i cant afford to have the motor down for to long lol, i do have one question tho, thursday im going to do some maintance on the car, gonna remove the valve cover look at all the components, what should i look for specifically, im going to clean the top of the vc real good with the greased lighting i have here. but also gonna try tightening the intake bolts and such, make sure everythings tighted down and such, any other tips for simple things to clean while im working on it, i dont have the dough to spend right now thats why i decided to hold off. anyway thanks for the help so far.

Comment

Originally posted by mooseheadc
                    Originally posted by Damkid
                    make sure the piston is at top dead centre, otherwise the vavle could fall into the cylinder and you'll probably need to take the head off to put the valve back in place
                    Two things
                    1. the old 'Rope Trick' remove spark plug and feed lots of3/8" nylon rope in
                    2. remove plug, get threaded fitting and pressurize with shop air, only good if your valves and rings are decent

Both should keep the valve from dropping in
                    cool!! i've never heard those tricks before, definately good to know

Comment

well so much for removing the vc today, getting cold again and susposed to snow :x :x :x owell ill find other things to do

Comment

www.auto-rx.com should reduce oil consumption via cleaning the ring packs and also cleaning the valve stem seals.

If the seals are just hardened and shrank it will help them a lot. If they're physically damaged....sorry.

Feel free to use coupon code ARXDD for a few bucks off.

Check out the auto-rx.com forums for all kinds of people's experiences with it.
                        www.dantheoilman.com
                        AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                        Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                        Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

ya ive been tryin to get some but no cc or dough lol.

Comment

Working...
                          X