strange noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange noise

my aqua car is making a funny noise, as u rev the motor it sounds odd, sounds like the sound the engine makes when it it very low on oil, but it is full of oil. that just the kind of sound it is. its coming from either the belt or something to do with that area. as i accelerate i hear it more, any ideas. when its cold i dont hear it as much, then after ive traveled and restart it i hear it much more. i wonder if it could be the belt, it seems tight and not in bad shape. but unlike most of you here i dont know much of anything about fixing cars. and no local members in my area to offer any help. any ideas would be helpful before i take in to someone for their opinion.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Does it make the noise whn driving or just sitting still reving up? Is it a tapping sound or a squealing sound? The more infromation you can tell us might help pinpoint the problem. Coming from the front (passenger side) of the engine it could be a water pump, timing belt, or tensioner. It is really hard to say.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

it makes the noise when driving, and accelerating i hear it more, as i said it isnt so noticable when its cold. its really a hollow type sound, not like the full body engine sound, thats why i likened it to the noise the engine makes when very low on oil. but it seems to be coming from the belt area there. i know its hard without hearing and seeing it, i just hate to get ripped off again. and none of you guys willing to help are near me.
      "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

Where are you located? I do not see it in your profile!
        1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
        2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

I have a rattling noise coming from my 92festiva L 5sp M. aswell, kinda of like a tapping but really frequent when in neutral and idling, put the clutch in and it dissapates, not right away but after a quick second.
          I can post a .wav file of it on my website if somone could listen to it and give me an opinion.

1.3Liter 4 cylinder FI , OHC, FWD, 3DR, 4ST, Stud. Tires

Comment

Lash Adjusters...?? Bowls sounds like yours is a throw out bearing.

Comment

Re: strange noise

Originally posted by todd00
              my aqua car is making a funny noise, as u rev the motor it sounds odd, sounds like the sound the engine makes when it it very low on oil, but it is full of oil. that just the kind of sound it is. its coming from either the belt or something to do with that area. as i accelerate i hear it more, any ideas. when its cold i dont hear it as much, then after ive traveled and restart it i hear it much more.
              HLA generally 'tick' more cold than hot. If you're sure its
              upper end 'noise' ticks rather than lower end'knock' you
              might have a sludged up oil intake, and you are hearing
              oil starvation.

Get any oil idiot light flicker?

only way to be sure is run a real oil pressure gauge and watch.

Might need to drop that pan and check the intake, or while
              you have it apart, replace the oilpump and seals.

And waterpump. And Belt.

If it still makes noise, take those parts back off and put them
              on a different motor

Comment

Where are the throw out bearings located DJ? transmission?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowls
                  Where are the throw out bearings located DJ? transmission?
                  Yes, the throw out bearing is on the clutch fork that disengages the tranny from the engine. Easy to replace whenyou do your clutch and transmission. Some clutch kits come with a throw out bearing.
                  Brian
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                  :fish:

Comment

Allright thanks man, was planning to buy a whole clutch replacement kit anyways.

Comment

Working...
                    X