any advice on rebuilding a carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any advice on rebuilding a carb?

I got the repair kit from auto-zone for 25 bucks and I have the carb off but I have not started to take it apart yet. I have been taking pictures along the way just in case I forget which hose goes where. It appears that the kit does not really come with instructions so I am in the process of finding some sort of step-by-step otherwise I may just have to wing it.

Are there any manuals out there with this info in it? I have an 88 L.

Oh and just so you no I have plugged the manifold with shop rags so debris does not get into it.
    Building on a budget sucks

years ago i use to have a spare carb in case i forgot where the linkage would go and all i had to do is look at the spare. also a spare might help if you lose a peice.

Comment

I have taken apart a spare carb I have for my '89 L.
      Be careful when removing the soft metal screws with the Phillips heads as it is easy to ruin the head. I used a big pair of fencing pliers to grab the head of the screw and turn it to break it free before using the screwdriver to remove it. Spraying with penetrating solvent like WD-40 or lubricating should help losen them.
      I have the Haynes manual and recall borowing a book on carburetors from the public library but can't remember which was most help.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

well ive only rebuilt one carb and that was on the gremlin, i just followed the haynes manual step by step. only thing i can say is do not get in a hurry, its not as hard as it sounds if you follow the manual. if somthing dont seem right, call a mechanic buddy or somthin to come help ya.
        2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
        1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
        1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
        http://www.aintperfect.com/

Comment

Working...
        X