setting timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting timing

ok, ive read the tutorial but im still kinda confused about how to set the timing. Is all i have to do is, line up the marks on the crank shaft, and the cam shaft and slip the belt on? or is there more to it? What is all this talk about degrees offset and timing lights? im confused :?
    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

Unless you milled a lot off the head, you don't need to worry about "degrees offset". Just be sure to line up the timing marks on the crank and the cam gears correctly. "Timing lights" is referring to ignition timing. As long as you didn't move or remove the distributor, you don't need to worry about that either.
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Man! I thought it was gonna be alot harder than that!

My belt did snap on me though, is all i have to do is line the marks up or was something damaged when it snapped? I did crank it quite a bit trying to find the problem when the belt was snapped...
      RIP 90LX

Comment

you should be good to go once the new belt is installed correctly. I think I read in one of your earlier posts that the car sat for a while before you got it. If that is the case then probably the belt deteriorated while it was sitting, and when you started cranking/driving it again it was too much strain on it and it broke. While you have the belt cover off though, don't forget to check and make sure the tensioner wheel (the little pulley that keeps pressure on the belt) turns easily and make sure the bearings aren't seized up in it. Other than that there shouldn't be any problem with it.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

great!

the car was driven daily until it died, then it sat for about two weeks before i bought it.

the belt was an accident waiting to happen

RIP 90LX

Comment

looks like whoever had it before just never replaced the belt... if they would have driven it for two weeks longer before selling it, it probably would have become their problem, not yours... but luckily its not too hard to replace compared to a lot of other cars out there
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
            X