X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel tank problem

hello all,

Sure hope someone can help...
    I have a 1988 Festiva LX, 1.3L, 5 spd, 2 door, painted "neon yellow"..definitely an attention-getter... Just bought it a few months ago...paid a whopping $500 for it..it's a great car, but:

Over the last month or so, we had noticed a strong fuel smell inside the car as we were driving. I finally discovered the problem: After removing the back seat and the large piece of interior trim on the driver's side, exposing the fuel tank inlet and various fuel lines, I discovered there is some sort of plastic canister mounted inside the body, with 3 fuel lines running to it(just to the left of the fuel tank inlet). It almost looks like a vapor canister of some sort. The bottom left port had broken completely off and that fuel hose was just sitting there, presumably emitting fuel vapor inside the car.

Does anyone know what this thing is called? I'm already pretty sure I won't find it at the standard parts places in my area. Would Napa carry it?
    Mainly I just need to know the name of the part so I know what to ask for.

Any help would be appreciated. :wink: thanks.

at least u didn't call it a thingy. that is the fuel vapor seperator. never heard of one breaking but luckily for u it's probably one of the only pieces still left on any junkyard festiva. no moving parts that i know of except maybe a checkvalve so there'd be nothing to look for in a replacement other than physical damage. i think all festys from 88-93 used the same seperator.

Comment

Thanks a bunch...I'll see what I can find.
      I'm surprised it was broken, too. It's not really in a place where it can get hit or knocked around, and it's held in place real well. I guess it just got brittle over time due to the gas vapors and our Texas heat.
      Hoping to post a pic of this car pretty soon...It's definitely somethiing to see, if for no other reason than the flashy paint job someone did on it.

Comment

ya we're always hungry 4 pics. found out more info on that seperator. it allows for expansion(pressurization) of the fuel in the tank and keeps liquid fuel from being drawn into the vapor cannister in the engine compartment. there is also a rollover valve incorporated to keep fuel from spilling in the event of a rollover. so ya you'd definitely be getting a gas smell if one of the nipples broke.

Comment

Thanks....yeah, I'm having a hard time finding one...NO one carries it new(haven't checked Ford/KIA dealers, yet), and the junkyards are dry of Festivas in the DFW, TX area. I've bypassed it for the time being; bought a small brass "T" pipe from the plumbing section at Lowes and "spliced it in...I think I saw the rollover valve, as well...mounted right underneath the separator, one of those hoses runs up from it...fortunately it's ok. I'll keep looking around.

By the way...posted 3 pics in "ALBUMS" a couple days ago...will try to post a few(better) in the pics forum, as well, pretty soon.

Comment

there is one in Coldsprings right now. maybe have him pull it for you before it gets crushed... 88 LX

Comment

Working...
            X