Help finding tranny problem??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding tranny problem??

Well the tranny in the aspire went, but i dont have a garage and in canada its still in the negatives out side. I was driving along, and when i turned left i kept hearing clicking. I know this is an axel but it was a bad clunck not the standard click, click, click......... I down shifted and let the clutch out to gain some speed and BAM!!! I have no gears and im standed trying to find the problem. When i let the clutch pedal out you kinda feel it wanna grab just a slight bit then it just is nothing and you can hear it just spinning, do you think i sheared the axel off inside the trans??? I haven't seen any fluid or parts dripping or hanging. You can hear, what sounds like parts or pieces moving around inside. Any imput would help thanks!!
    Wait what kinda car is that!!! Oh yeah thats a ASPIRE
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/801871

If you're not losing any oil, the snap ring that holds the inner ring and cage on the axle inside the cv joint probably came off. If this snap ring has come off, it will allow the inner ring and cage to come off the axle far enough to disengage the splines on the cv axle. Have someone sit in the car and let the clutch out with the transmission in gear and the engine running. Look at each axle cv joint where it enters the transmission. I think you will see one of them spinning when the car is in gear. Look under from each side (NOT FROM THE FRONT). You don't want to get run over if the axle suddenly gets a grip on the inner ring and the car lurches forward. If you do see one of the cv joints spinning, you will need a new complete cv axle because the splines on the end of the shaft will be all chewed up.
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

You may have just blown a CV joint. If your lucky. Thats an easy fix
      Paul
      91GL
      Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

I'm betting on an exploded CV Joint.......Let them little buggers Click to long and something is has to give....lol The voice of experence.

Comment

like what festy46 said, watch the axles as someone else tries to move the car,

i got lucky with my axles a couple weeks ago, i knew the cv joints were getting really bad, it got to the point where i heard the click click click sound while driving in a straight line and when i was on my way to pick up the new axle it started to shake the car

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

thanks for the advice, i will try that when its not freezing rain outside. See the thing is i never hered the axel click untill that day that it blew up, i hope its a quick fix. Thanks!!!!!
            Wait what kinda car is that!!! Oh yeah thats a ASPIRE
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/801871

Comment

Working...
            X