ACK! Shifter dropped thru the floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACK! Shifter dropped thru the floor

The 5 speed shifter handle on my 93 Festy dropped thru the floor. It's dragging on the ground! Can this be fixed, or do I have to scrounge up another shifter.

search search search.. It's a common Festiva problem that can be fixed a few different ways..

Comment

I had it happen on a car after a transission shop didn't reconnect the linkages properly. Check the linkages when you fix the problem as it might be the cause.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

it is actually dragging on the ground? Usually the exhaust pipe blocks it from dropping all the way. If everything is still connected to it, just pull it up till it pops back intot he rubber mount that holds it in place. And try not to push down when you shift :-)

Comment

The exhaust isn't stock so that may be why. I've tried searching but I come up with 50 pages of stuff that doesn't have anything to do with shifting.

Comment

Try these , I searched shifter ..

------------------------------------------------
            The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
            Smart Passion white with H-D interior
            HD2500 Duramax Chevy
            Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
            Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
            Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
            Z28 LS1 power 500 +
            90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
            It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

I actually ended up using the car's jack to "pop" it back into place after some ham handed tire jockey pushed mine out of place. Since then, I've put on 3K miles without any problems from the linkages.

Weird design flaw.

B
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

Comment

I took it apart today, the rubber donut thing is really trashed. I shoved some cut up radiator hose in there and rigged it up with a coat hanger for now. I'll have to come up with something better but for now it works.

Comment

I had this problem while installing a shift knob. Pushed too hard and plop through the floor.
                  I just went to the JY and bought another shifter assembly about 30 bucks, but as a cheap
                  fix you could fill the "rubber donut" (i don't know what to call it either) with windshield
                  adhesive. This would have the added benefit of stiffening the mount. Just a thought.
                  Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
                  - Dennis Grant
                  FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

I did end up getting a used shifter assembly at a junkyard last week, all is well now.

Comment

Working...
                    X