No announcement yet.

Where did the pep go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at it again, is there a "hidden" hose or wire on an 88 that may be easy to overlook? FestYboy described the way the car runs to a T a few posts back. While I'm at it this weekend I'll get the O2 pulled and see what develops there, it couldn't hurt. The exhaust system on this is kind of old.

Comment

yeah, if your emissions parts aren't functioning properly, or the A.I.R system failed (which they tend to do often) the resulting rich condition before the cat or lack of O2 to the second half of the cat can/will cause it to clog up and produce massive amounts of back pressure.

if you're anywhere close to me, i could take a look at it for you, and i have the tools you need.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

So if the catalytic converter is clogged, can this come on suddenly or is it a buildup over time? I want to get it up on my ramps this weekend and do a check from underneath as well to make sure everything is plugged in. I live in SE Ohio, Mapquest says over 6 hours to PA! Appreciate the thought though.

Comment

YES it can and DOES come on sudenly, just ask my g/f who was with me when it happened. one day, everything was working perfectly and strong, that very next morning it wouldn't go over 40 mph. so essentially it CAN happen overnight.

if you get it up on ramps, separate the downpipe from the cat and look inside, it'll proly look like black icing. this is bad. but removing your O2 should confirm my suspitions before having to remove exhaust components.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Thanks man, I'll get this O2 out probably this weekend and we'll see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Adventurer
              Thanks man, I'll get this O2 out probably this weekend and we'll see what happens.
              stock up on pb blaster and soak the crap out of it first
              2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
              1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
              1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
              http://www.aintperfect.com/

Comment

Yes, that stuff is worth it's weight in gold!

Comment

OK, while trying to get the O2 out the wire connected to it broke, took it for a drive and no difference. Never did get the actual O2 out. Is the broken wire the same as having the O2 out? From here should I look at maybe the timing is off? How accurate can timing be set by moving the distributor without a light?

Comment

no the reason were telling you to take the o2 out is to see if your cats clogged. if thats clogged removing the o2 sensor will help with the back pressure.

Comment

OK, borrowing some wrenches after work and I'll get it pulled hopefully tonight.

Comment

take it slow and easy tho man you can strip the nut, make sure to buy loads of pb blaster lol keep it soaked for bout 2 hours before you attempt to remove it

Comment

I'll do that, was hosing it down off and on over the weekend. Thanks

Comment

also helps to get it into the threads to tap it with a wrench as well.

Comment

Haven't been able to get the O2 sensor out. I've sprayed it with PB Blaster several times. Don't want to break it trying to get it out. Any advice?

Comment

warm up the engine till the rad fan kicks in, then hit the O2 w/ pb and shut the engine down. hit the O2 w/ pb again, and with the wrench you're using, find a suitable pipe to fit over it to give you leverage. FIRST tighten it a little, THEN loosen it a little till it's easy to rock back and forth. THEN hit it w/ pb again and start working it off. the pb acts as a lubricant, yes, but the real reason you're using it is to shrink the O2 threads as compaired to the manifold threads. this is what loosens the O2. the trick here is to keep the pb from hitting the manifold as best you can. it will come off, and if it doesn't, i have 2-3 spares at the house you can have.

Comment

Working...
                                X