Undercoating on new gas tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undercoating on new gas tank?

I got my old tank out of Twinstiva the other day and my Dad will be helping me to put the new one in Saturday. It is indeed a "new" tank, not used or reconditioned. Should I spray undercoating all over it like it appears my old one had done from the factory? What would be best; any ideas? I'd like to avoid any of that sticky stuff because it will be enough of a pain to install this baby. Maybe spray the top of it first, then spray the bottom after installation?

Thanks,

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

I would give it a good coat of undercoating before installing. Just mask off the pipe connections and hang it on a clothes line by one of the mounting bolt holes and go at it. I got some good stuff from NAPA a few months ago when I fixed the floor boards of my Jeep. It had sort of a rubbery texture and I think it dried in less than an hour. It comes in a spray can. I don't remember the exact name for it , but I am sure I got it at NAPA.
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Thanks Festy, I'll probably look for some of that.

Karl

Comment

I found an old can of the stuff I used. It's 3M Underseal Undercoating - part number N.08882
        You gonna race that thing?
        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

it's definately a good idea to spray the top of the tank, and the body of the car where the tank sits, because once the tank is in any undercoating won't get there

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Doing it today!

Thanks again guys!

Karl

Comment

Gas tank's undercoated and in the car.

Hoping to get her running within the week. Thanks.

Karl

Comment

Safety Guy, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get a new gas tank?

Thanks

Rick

Comment

Karl are you doing the B6 now too?
                  Brian
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                  :fish:

Comment

Rick, I got it on ebay. I think this is the place, since it's cheapest and I'm cheap:

Keep in mind FI and carbed tanks are different.

Brian, no, no swap yet. I just want to get Twinstiva running so I have a second car and I can see what all it needs in the short term. She should cost me under $400 if nothing else is wrong! After she's running I'll be finishing up Luxstiva, my automatic '93GL. She needs refining and I'd like to put in a low miles Aspire ATX and the headers I bought from FMS.

Then by end of summer I should be doing suspension and engine swaps on Twinstiva. That also gives me time to prepare the other B6 sitting on the floor in my garage.

Lux should get a sunroof this summer, too.

If all goes well, you guys should be seeing Twin at OS V, maybe a refined Luxstiva with around 90 hp at the Festival, and the "new" Speedstiva with maybe 90 to 96 hp at the fall fling!

After that, I'll be prepping a performance head or rebuilding a whole engine to give Speed more power: about 110 to 120 expected.

The Mutt will then need converting to FI; not much will happen there until next summer. I think I'll use Twin's current low miles B3 for Mutt.

Twin is so very clean inside. DaveG can vouch for that! She's gonna be my "dream car" after her speed conversion, and get painted dark blue like I've wanted since I was a teenager.

Karl

Comment

Thanks Karl. Yeah, I am aware there may have been a difference. I will look at their site to see what they have.

Appreciate it.

Rick

They have 10 at $139. May go that way if carbonvmax can't pry the tank from his pal...

Rick

Comment

Working...
                      X