Starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting issue

Well we tried to fire up the 88 tonight but with no success. It cranked and for a second sounded like it was going to fire but now it just clicks. We switched batteries and even hooked up jumper cables from another car but still just clicking. All the lights dim when you try to start it and the battery cable ( positive ) gets wicked hot. So we figured there must be a short somewhere in the wiring. We are going to swap out the starter tomorrow and see if it helps. Here is where it gets weird when I hook up the mulit meter, there is continuity between the black wire with a white stripe on the positive side of the ignition coil and the ground. Is this the short? Shouldn't I have 12v on the positive side of the coil not a ground. Anyone know what the wires should be on the coil and what side positive or negative? Any help or information would be much appreciated, thanks Ed.
    You got the stickers I got the parts!

Your hooked up backwards, the positive and ground are backwards.

Comment

Fixed the car. The wires were right on the coil the wire was stripped and grounding out, and the positive batter cable that runs from the battery to the starter and main fuse box was fubar. So I fixed the coil wire and replaced the positive battery wire and it started right up. For any one else with issues check your wires for corrosion.
      You got the stickers I got the parts!

Comment

Working...
      X